PDA

View Full Version : Best 4pin hei module

fattboyee
03-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I HAVE BOUGHT THE DYNA MOD IN THE PAST BUT NEVER GET MORE THAN 6 OR 7 WEEKENDS OUT OF ONE BEFOR I HAVE ISSUES. KINDA STINKS TO SPEND 50 BUX ON A MODULE THAT SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST AND HAVE DNFS BECAUSE THEY GIVE OUT IN A LOCKED DISTRIBUTOR. THIS IS HOW THE RULE READS WITH AN AMMENDMENT THAT SAYS NO MSD TYPE MODULE CHIP BOARD.
IGNITION:
Battery operated. OEM electronic ignition system such as HEI required. Distributor must be mounted in the stock location and maintain the stock firing order. No crank / triggered ignition. No ignition boxes. $150 claim on distributor. You may claim the distributor on any car ahead of you that finishes the feature race. You must swap distributors with person being claimed. 2 claims per driver per year. Tech man will decide if distributor is eligible to be claimed

I HAVE CHANGED EVERYTHING IN MY DIST. AND EVEN SWAPPED DIST. HAVE CHANGED WIRING, CHANGED GROUNDING, SWITCHES. TRYING TO FIND THE PROBLEM. BUT THE DYNA MODS KEEP BURNING OUT. I DROPPED A $10 BORG WORNER STOCK MOD IN AND ONLY HAVE RPM ISSUES. AFTER 5500 IT POPS AND MISSES. BUT WITH MSD BOARD I CAN GO TO 7500 WITH SAME SETUP AND NO ISSUES.

fattboyee
03-06-2011, 01:02 PM
i have used this 4 pin in the past and it worked well to about 6300 to 6500. i just like to know what yall think is the best befor i buy another one. i see moroso makes one and accell. and the flame thrower one i have bought in the past.

thanks

stock car driver
03-06-2011, 02:41 PM
I havent ran hei in 4-5 years but back then I built a deal to measure the spark it could throw and basically all the NAME modules that appear oem seemed to be the same, I would speculate that most are just badged with their name and come from the same place.

I ran oem modules from the junk yard and NEVER had a issue up to 7k rpm. Are you by chance running a huge gap? Do you have a 10 gauge power wire to the hei with nothing else drawing off that source? Do you run a alternator?

MSD is the best module but if its not allowed thats a bummer, it thru some nasty spark.

As a side note I gained the most buy going to a remote coil from a 88-91 mustang 5.0. I still run that coil with my msd. Tech West who builds msd etc said that coil is hotter than the aftermarket expensive coils. I get a borg warner from the local parts store!

fattboyee
03-06-2011, 09:41 PM
we run the gap at 45. i was just looking at 4pin modules and every company makes there sales claime of being the best. wondering if anyone had better luch with any brand.

i thought about trying a points distributor i have laying around. just for play day and see if it would do anything. everyone seems to think its a bad idea. i learned many years ago about having big enough wire and by its self. i chased that rabbit for a lil while and will never forget that lesson. i may try the remote coil for the higher voltage spark.

also just something learned by accident i had a motor that ran a lil warm not hot just in the 220 range. never could get it to cool any better in the summer. but indexing the plugs will help by 10 degrees give or take a degree or two.

stock car driver
03-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Might try and run .035 gap. I run that with my MSD and plenty of spark even. I havent tried wider on the chassis dyno to see if it matters but I seem to run ok most of the time.

I think gm went to .045 then back to .035 at some point for hei.

Just an idea.

other things that rpm limited me in the past were valve springs too weak, air in the fuel line from fuel fitting loose on top of cell, hose inside cell loose on fitting sucking air and bad spark plug wires.

All seemed like ignition.

carowner73
03-07-2011, 02:34 AM
We have been running the hei distributors for 20 years, have tried every kind you can think of, dyna mods i had same results as you, have had most success with stock and the Flamethrower brand modules.

Warning: DO NOT....DO NOT....DO NOT run the printed circuit board MSD modules they are very touchy and more trouble then they are worth.

fattboyee
03-07-2011, 10:08 PM
yeah i think we are just gonna get a new flame thrower and keep whatever is in it for a backup. i am gonna put a new pickup magnito and lil transformer and all thats in there. gonna break it down and free it up a lil.

and on the msd board when you have your stuff together they work great.

jeff ran into the fule line suckin air befor. i think we chased our tails for a month looking for the problem. it was an older fuel cell and the pickup hose was busted right below the fiting in the tank. was comical once we figured out what was wrong. that was probably the hardest trouble shooting we ever did.

thanks yall

carowner73
03-08-2011, 01:58 AM
With any aftermarket module, do not weld or charge the battery with the hot wire hooked up. It will feedback and damage the module, causing it to fail.

Your lucky if you got a MSD module that doesnt have problems, trust me, they have issues and MSD knows this. Done had discussions and tried some of there R&D stuff on these modules, they cant figure out why they have a high failure rate. Havent ran any in about a year and half maybe they have found out something by now, but I'll stick with my Flamethrower.