PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

Franklin51
03-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Are you better off to have lets say basic QA1 and have several of them or is it worth going out and say getting a Integra Double Adjustable?

F22 RAPTOR
04-01-2011, 01:16 PM
I have a personal issue with QA1 so I can't in good conscience recommend them to anybody ever, but if your real question is should you buy multiple fixed valve shocks or double adjustable? Then I may have some input for you.

Doubles are mainly a matter convenience, but they do cost more to buy and they cost more to fix. Fixed valve shocks are more labor to switch and you will have to buy a couple of different ones for different setups if you travel, but they are cheaper to buy and cheaper to fix. So now when you wreck a double, its almost like wrecking 3 fixed valve shocks. If you bend a rod in a double, that rod will cost about three times as much as a fixed to replace. If you run fixed valve shocks and damage one, you most likely will have a few others for different setups that you could use in a pinch till yours is repaired. If you run doubles and damage one you'd need to keep a spare front and rear too. Lastly, I worked in the shock business from 98'-04' and I've never seen anybody build a double that could accurately match a fixed valve shocks curve for every adjustment. What I mean is a 5 fixed and a 5 double don't necessarily match up apples to apples. If they do they won't match up somewhere else. Hope this helps.

joedoozer
04-01-2011, 01:42 PM
That helps me alot.

I don't want to hijack OP's thread. But we are currently running fixed valve afco's, what warrior recommends on the base set up for a 2000 chassis. We have kicked around the idea of buying some shocks this summer (RF and LR) to help keep it pinned on the RF. We had thought about buying adjustables, for the convenience of the adjustments. But we don't travel, and money drives everything. We are a long way from buying anything. Still much to learn before we spend any money.