PDA

View Full Version : Madden Claims Electrifying Inaugural ULTIMATE SLM Event At Modoc

FASTRAKPR
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Now and again something comes along that works and this weekend proved just that from the successful results of the inaugural event of the SAS East/ULTIMATE SLM series. Even with the continuing forecast of 70% rain, there were 24 cars on hand and man did they ever put on a show!

Chris Madden took home the victory for the inaugural ULTIMATE super late model series event. Fans were going absolutely crazy in the stands as they were treated to one of the most exciting finishes in history. Fast qualifier Chris Ferguson led most of the way but with four to go, SAS East multiple time champion Casey Roberts of Toccoa GA passed Ferguson on the outside of turns 1 and 2 to take the lead. Chris Madden, who patiently observed the pass by Roberts, did the exact same thing on the last lap in turns one and two catching Roberts behind a lap car. Madden, making the high side move, made it three wide down the back stretch with Ferguson right behind him. Madden cleared them right at the end of the back stretch as Ferguson and Roberts touched coming off turn three and four with Ferguson edging Robert out for the runner up spot. What a race and what a finish!

Madden elaborated, “Our car was awesome tonight. I really appreciate my sponsors and everyone at the shop that makes this deal work. Scott and I did a lot of work over the winter. We were set up for the long runs and it worked into our favor.” No doubt 24 cars for a brand new super late model series is huge and especially in this economy. With over $60,000 in cash and contingencies in the point fund for the first year of the newly established series, this might just be the perfect place for super late model teams in the SE United States. Considering travel is very limited for teams in these days of high fuel prices, the ULTIMATE super late model series has the opportunity to really become successful in year one. Once again Lester seems to have timed it right very much like the FASTRAK racing series he owns.

“I was nervous” said series Partner Stan Lester. “I’m always nervous though, and with the weather forecast I tried to remain as optimistic as possible. Keeping in mind when FASTRAK began there were only five cars at the first event, so yes I was on pins and needles waiting to see how many supers actually came. Having 24 entries was a blessing and I truly appreciate the teams that came. I know everyone for the most part thought we would cancel. I had no less than ten teams call me to say they were not coming because of the forecast and I can’t really blame them as no one gave us a chance to get it in. Yet, we did and the fans were treated to one of the best races I have ever seen! I know it cost us 10 - 15 cars. I just appreciate all the teams putting their faith in us to represent them in super late model racing. If this race was anything indicative of what we are to see this year, the fans are in for a real treat”.

The partnership between the SAS East and the management of the FASTRAK Racing Series seems to have enjoyed success right out of the box as they would say in motorsports circles. Lester said tracks have already been calling Monday morning wanting event dates so maybe, just maybe they have really hit on something special with very good timing. As they say in racing and in life in general, “timing is everything”.

The ULTIMATE SLM series would like to thanks everyone involved in making this debut a huge success. Keep in mind that the second event for the ULTIMATE SLM series is scheduled for this Sunday as the series heads to Cherokee Speedway in Gaffney, SC for the prestigious $10,000 to win March Madness event.

Partners of the ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series include Hoosier Racing Tire, VP Racing Fuels, City Chevrolet, Shell Racing Solutions, NOS Energy Drink, Big A’s Custom Graphics, & Vicci Apparel

ULTIMATE SLM Results From Modoc Speedway
Pos No. Name

1 44 Chris Madden
2 22 Chris Ferguson
3 101 Casey Roberts
4 21B Chip Brindle
5 2D Bob Robertson
6 18M Jeff Smith
7 87 Ross Bailes
8 49 Jonathan Davenport
9 71L Dennis Lunger Jr
10 09 Johnny Pursley