PDA

View Full Version : OW versus Crate Late Model

Franklin51
03-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Is the OW cheaper then the Crate Late Model?

oscar80
05-25-2011, 06:11 PM
I have the same question. Hoping someone might be able to answer it

Dave

racin6mod
05-25-2011, 10:26 PM
tires $120 each for hoosier d-40 might last 5 nights rims $59 non beadlock and $6,000 on up for a good engine.the tranys the same ump runs qc rearend so that would be the same for gears the cost of a chassis is the same or very close to it.the shocks are $68.00 on up so you might save some ther.So I would say the ow wil cost you more to races over the season plus with the motor cost and the extra fuel cost the crate lm would be a better buget class.if you stay with a legal crate engine I know you can buy a $8,000 crate engine that's legal maybe.

powerslide
05-26-2011, 12:03 AM
really depends how much other guys are spending. you can take a 2003 car and do updates yourself and build a good solid motor shopping around for used parts and have a nice mod for 10-15. or like me buy every single thing used and only have 7k in race ready car. i would look at how far you have to travel to race the crate vs the mod how many tracks in your area run them? are the car counts dropping? are promotors going to drop either class? i think mods are the most fun to drive and watch so thats what i am in. they are a real challenge to get working.

oscar80
05-26-2011, 03:21 PM
The rules for the local track that runs OWMs. Would this end up being a 6k motor?

Engines

1. Maximum allowable displacement is 365 cubic inches.

2. No aluminum blocks allowed. Steel block only.

3. Any American made engine may be used as long as rear of engine (bell housing flange) is mounted at least 72" forward from the center line of rear axle. Engine offset must be kept within 2" of centerline of front cross member. Engine height minimum 11" from ground to front center of crankshaft pulley.

4. No titanium or other exotic material, crankshafts or connecting rods allowed. Steel rods and crankshafts are the only acceptable material. There must be an inspection hole, minimum 1-inch diameter, in the oil pan for rod & crank inspection. No inspection hole means that the Team concerned must be prepared to pull the oil pan to allow checking by the Inspector. Refusal to comply with all reasonable inspection requests will cause the car to be deemed illegal and disqualified.

5. Factory valve angle/cast iron heads only. Heads may be angle milled. Valve to piston angle cannot be changed more than 3 degrees from factory angle. No raised runner heads. Angle plug heads are allowed. Max Valve sizes allowed: 2.080" Intake 1.625" Exhaust.

6. No porting or polishing of cylinder heads. Block and heads may be deburred to help oil flow only. Intake ports may be port matched 1/2" Max. Exhaust must remain as casted. Bowl blend 1.5" from bottom of seat.

7. No external oil pumps allowed.

8. No oil coolers.

9. No dry sump oil systems.

10. Single carburetor only. Top may be milled only.

11. Roller rockers allowed.

12. Any flat tappet camshaft allowed. No roller cams allowed.

13. Rocker studs maybe pinned or screw-in type with push rod guide plates.

14. Stud girdles allowed. Poly locks allowed.

15. Aluminum Intake manifold allowed. May be port matched 1/2" max.

16. Flat-top pistons only.

17. No Magnetos

racin6mod
05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
that looks like the e-mod engine rules from a track near here.you could build that one at home for way under 6 grand with those rules your crate engine might be ok which crate engine do you run now.

oscar80
05-26-2011, 05:51 PM
I dont have anything currently. I am weighing the cost differences between the two classes. The NDRA I guess also set up a touring class here in the Carolinas using the same engine rules.

Dave

diggindirt
05-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Unless you plan on running at DMS or FMS, I would look real hard at the East Lincoln/Carolina type motor. You can run larger engines with their rules. Should be able to make cheaper horsepower with cubic inches. The 365 rule hurts the DMS and FMS cars in trying to make cheap horsepower. Just something to think about anyway.

powerslide
05-28-2011, 05:47 PM
i think those are pretty econmical rules if they tech for ti valves and valve angle. i think compared to a crate you will have more fun w/ this i would venture to say these can make around 550-575

oscar80
05-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah its going to either FMS or DMS due to them only being about an hour from my house.

What kind of rotating assembly and heads would work best?

Dave

dirty white boy
05-29-2011, 01:44 PM
up withville va thay run OWMs with 602s but not sure who else running them! owm seem to be catching on out east nc,..wish thay catch on in the central piedmont nc areas as super street type cars are playin out round here!

qrteracer
05-31-2011, 10:57 AM
They do not tech anything down here in carolina or east......