PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler

mjs48
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I just recently added a deck mount oil cooler to my wet sump car and had a question.

The cooler takes an additional quart of oil along with the lines installed and I have an 8 quart pan. When I change the oil should I just change the 8 quarts because some stays in the cooler (as the cooler is pretty far back on the deck and I dont think all the oil would drain back into the pan)?

Thanks

redfred
03-08-2011, 06:45 PM
If you don't clean the lines and cooler, what is the sense of changing the oil at all? If you don't clean everything, as soon as you turn the engine over, the oil is dirty again.

left-rear
03-08-2011, 08:58 PM
This is how I would do it the first time to see how many quarts you will need,, you should have a good quality oil pan that has a full level plug you can remove and check your level,, so first start your engine, because you will have drain back into the oil pan from the cooler, so I start the engine before the oil change, then drain the oil out of the pan, pull the full level plug on the pan and fill the engine with oil until it comes out the full level plug,, then start the engine,, shut off pull the full level plug and check again,, add as needed.

mjs48
03-10-2011, 08:57 AM
That all makes sense, how would you recommend to flush the cooler?

DIRT69
03-12-2011, 10:12 PM
i want to put a oil cooler on my car, when you put the adapter on the bottom of the engine where the oil filter used to be what fitting is pressure and which one is return??im not talking about the new oil filter re-locater that you will mount on the mid plate just the one on the bottom of the engine. what size lines should you use also???

fast_crew
03-13-2011, 07:58 AM
They should be marked, but if it's the style that has the fitting coming out of the bottom the fitting towards the outer edge will be pressure OUT, the fitting in the center would be pressure IN. Minimum -10 Use -12's if you can. Besure to use hi flow fittings and and try to keep it to 45*s if possible.