PDA

View Full Version : bert ball spline trans

FAH-Q
03-09-2011, 11:17 PM
i have never had a ball spline trans till now could someone tell me how i need to maintance it??? i have lucas oil L9 gear oil its extremly low friction and says its good for rears and trans. im lost on how you grease the tail shaft?? thanks for you help k.p

JTSjet
03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
obviously refer to bert's recommendations, but i use dex auto trans fluid and change it out every 50-100 laps (every 2 or 3 races). It holds about a quart. I disassemble the "ball-spline" part of the tailshaft once a year, clean it and pack it with a good quality moly grease. I try to keep the outer chloroprene dirt seal in good shape and replace it as needed. The key is to keep the 6-spline shaft clean and lubed after every race and make sure it moves freely with little effort. Use whatever you use on your heims to lube the shaft.

it's not much different maintenance-wise than any other trans out there. Just make sure you are running a carbon fiber shaft with that pig though. your starboard extremities perhaps will thank you for that some day.

Egoracing
03-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Good auto trans fluid, NOT slick gear oils, the clutches will not last. A carbon fiber shaft is a must and VERY cheap insurance, it should be required by the rules for a ballspline.

grt74
03-11-2011, 07:37 AM
we use a type f fluid with no problems as for the driveshaft please guys if your reading this use a carbonfiber driveshaft with a ballspline i have seen the results first hand if you dont, and if it breaks and its not carbonfiber it will break an arm or leg at the least and KILL someone at the worst!!! this should be and is a very big and must have saftey item!!!

racin6mod
03-12-2011, 01:42 PM
this should be in every rule book race track on serie's.A good friend of mine had his rearend gear lock up on him coming down the back strech on a big 3/8 mile track. He had a steel drive shaft(imca mod) the shaft twisted up like a pretzel the trany blew apart busting the main case and da## near his arm he was lucky to walk away.he told me it was like a bomb went off next to him.

Graff Spee
03-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I have never used the ball spline. Tell me what advantage it gives you. I have always used standard Berts. I have no problem with seperation or with smoothness. I must be missing something here. Thanks

jrkracing54
03-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't use a ball spline either. I just got the new second gen standard bert and I love it so far. No problems (only 1 race old however) what so ever. The clutch pedal is stiffer than my brake pedal. I have to be careful not to bump it and not confuse it for the brake pedal during racing situations. I have been using the Wadon Bert Blue Magic transmission fluid. So far so good.