PDA

View Full Version : Bert ?????????

5F-FRANCIS
03-10-2011, 07:40 AM
I have an older bert trans that is not splind all the way through..Need to know what length yoke i need to run..Any help????????

hammond
03-10-2011, 07:51 AM
6 1/2 should work .or remove the output shaft and take it to a crank grinder and give them the long yolk and have them grind the shaft to fit .

BigBlueFord
03-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Take it to a machine shop and have them just undercut from the end of the splines forward toward the trans body. That's what we did on our old Brinn, worked great. You don't really need the splines any further forward, ya' just want the yoke to slide further forward. This will allow you to use a 8" yoke.

Rex

gadirtracer
03-10-2011, 10:14 PM
take it to a machine shop and have them just undercut from the end of the splines forward toward the trans body. That's what we did on our old brinn, worked great. You don't really need the splines any further forward, ya' just want the yoke to slide further forward. This will allow you to use a 8" yoke.

Rex

ditto....:d

racin6mod
03-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I own a machine shop and race parts business I repair all 3 race trany's.I charge $60.00 to remove the output shaft,undercut it .080 of an inch up 3 inches from the forward end of the splines. this allows an 8 inch yoke plus 1 inch of clearance. I use a round inserted carbide tool so ther is no sharp square edge to weakin the shaft.I've been doing this for 5 years now with no breakages. the same can be done on an older brinn but at a higher charge due to the labor required to remove the tail shaft. If you want to remove it and send it to me I'll under cut it and send it back out the same day for $30.00 plus shipping

hpmaster
03-12-2011, 05:13 PM
$30.00 to undercut the shaft is the fair/going rate and in my mind the correct way to handle what you need. Just make sure you have the right drive shaft and yoke combination or you can knock out seals or worse, been there, done that. As for shaft yoke combinations call a good shaft builder. I have used Fastshaft and had great help and a fair price.