PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give advise on this lifter on a 2300 hydraulic?

player25
03-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a 2300 Hydraulic head,I put brand new lifters in it and run one race, and the ring around the top of the lifter is pooched out on everyone of them. would anyone have any advice on what would cause this? and will it hurt anything for them to be like that?

car62
03-11-2011, 10:54 AM
the problem:

that would be from too much lash,causing the follower to "slap" the lifter,thus forcing the oil to rapidly exit the lifter...the weakest part of the lifter is the "retaining ring".

the cure:

start with new lifters and this time put .050 shims under each lifter.

FYI:
we refer to these as lifters,however they are actually called a HLA (Hydraulic Lash Adjuster) because they do not actually "lift" like they would in a pushrod motor.

PitManArm
03-11-2011, 06:15 PM
While I agree with car62 that the problem sounds alot like the lifters/HLAs are 'bouncing' and pumping up, I don't think an arbitrary .050" shim is the answer for each HLA.

You need to bring each cam lobe around so the follower is on the base circle. Then collapse the HLA and measure the lash between the follower and lobe. Shoot for around .040", but .030" is better if the cam has aggressive ramps. Add shims under the HLA for each lobe until this lash is achieved, then move to the next lobe. RECORD each starting measurement, shim total, and finished lash for each lobe and recheck lash every ten races or so.

I got an awesome .400' lift hydraulic cam from a very reputable person on this board and my shim totals range from .030" to .120", but my lash is between .031 and .035 across the cam. It no longer pumps the lifters up and still pulls past 7300 rpm with a stock unported head and untouched D4 intake.

Dan32
03-15-2011, 08:30 AM
very good info u explained it well!! we d
use same method a little less lash!!