PDA

View Full Version : Setup question

supertruck
03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Vehicle is an S10 running on 4/10 flat pavement, 2400 lbs. It is naturally nose heavy and therefore tight, we normally run aboout 46% cross to make it turn. One of my buds added 80 lbs of lead over the LR axle and swears the truck turns better. Question - while the rear weight helps the front to rear balance, it also adds cross, and more cross makes the truck tighter. How can this work? Any chassis experts out there?

car62
03-11-2011, 05:13 PM
if you have jack bolts,you can take rounds out of the RF/LR..or put rounds in the LF/RR to decrease cross.

supertruck
03-12-2011, 06:45 PM
No jackbolts allowed - leafs with shackles on the rear, adjustable spring buckets on the front. We can play with those, just seems like adding more weight to the LR causes you to add more RR/LF spring or less LR/RF spring to account for it. So what is the advantage of the extra weight? not trying to be smart, just would like to know.

car62
03-12-2011, 06:59 PM
the best advice i can give you,is if you want to learn more is go to your local thrift store and buy an old table,then go to walmart and by 4 identical scales...set the table on the scales and start ading weight and see what changes happen...then apply that to the truck.

when he added the 80lbs,did he reset the swaybar?

is he the normal driver of the truck?

what did the lap times tell you?

you are leaving too many variables out there.

Racedad
03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Get more rear spring rate in the RR,more or thicker leafs or my favorite:An extra leaf or 2 and then also a snubber on the rr.I use a snubber off a Grand caravan rear axle. Mid turn and turn exit when the g forces are greatest I ride the snubber,she turns nice.

millerlt3
03-18-2011, 04:02 AM
while it did add some cross The chassis didnt react adversly because more important it added left side weight which it liked they say on pavement the more left side weight the better and adding the rear weight helped with forward bite so ya it is posible it rolled the corner better

supertruck
03-18-2011, 05:45 AM
Thanks millerlt3. that's what i was looking for.