PDA

View Full Version : Oil temp on 604?

zeke23z
03-12-2011, 10:03 PM
What range should i be looking for?

dynoman14
03-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Zeke,
In most cases you oil temp is going to be pretty close to your water temp. so depending on what kind of fan and radiator, ductwork etc. Most cars I see with decent stuff run 180-200deg water and close to the same on oil. Oil coolers can knock out about 20-25 degrees.

Also depends on the oil you are running, I run petrol base, with a couple power additives and don't like to see over 250deg. but then again I like to run my water pretty hot also 200-220deg with a pressurized recirculating system and a 50# radiator cap, I like my oil about 20deg hotter than water and then it can do what it is supposed to do. Water boils about 212deg and at 50psi it is close to 300deg. The extra pressure in the system can kill wimpy water pumps but you will never have a hot spot in your heads which 602's & 604's are very prone to. Even if your temp gauge reads 180deg a couple of your cylinders will be over heating pretty bad, just look at your plugs to find out ( you will need to install new plugs, heat the engine to 200 at idle and go out and make a couple good open laps and perform a clean cut-off to get the right info on your plugs ).