PDA

View Full Version : Not racing but....need a little advice

parrot69777
03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
I recently picked up up a 1970 GMC K25 truck. Seller misplaced the keys to it. I am wanting to replace the ignition lock cylinder because I don't want to wait for him to find them if he can at all. I have removed them before with a paperclip but I have always had the key.

Anyway I can get it out without hurting the dash? Wouldn't even care if I had to replace the ignition switch as well.

stockcar5
03-14-2011, 03:23 PM
as a last resort you can drill it out. most times a 1/2 cobalt bit will do the trick. its wont ruin the dash but obviously you'll need a new cylinder.

parrot69777
03-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Was really hoping to avoid that...but it might be the only way I can get it out. Already ordered a new switch and lock cylinder. Thought maybe someone might have a magical cure all.

autoshop
03-21-2011, 12:06 PM
You might look under the driver's seat for the line sheet (8x10 sheet of paper stuck in between the springs and the lower cushion) it will give you the key code, then go to any locksmith and have a key cut, sometime the key code is in the glove box line sheet also

bushracing67
03-25-2011, 06:29 PM
i happen to be a locksmith, there is no way to get the old gm dash ign out of the switch without being able to turn the lock to the acc position, you need to drill out the side bar, best bet would be to wait until you have the new lock in your hand so you can see what needs to happen, it is about 3/16 tall by 3/4" long bar that sticks out of the side of the lock plug, when you slide the correct key in there are two little springs that push that bar in allowing the plug to rotate in the housing, some good measuring and nice straight drilling with about a 3/16 bit will get er out of there in 5 minutes

parrot69777
03-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Great!! I already have the new switch and lock cylinder. Will have to check it out. Thanks

dirty white boy
03-26-2011, 01:16 AM
ok i got one for yall,..84 gmc 1/2ton,..tilt steering,..the rod inside the column came off key switch,...how hard is this to fix??? also the tilt got some slop in it how do i fix that??? thinking bout just getting a none tilt column outta a junk yard,..seems to give a lil more belly room any way...

parrot69777
03-26-2011, 11:09 AM
From the ones I have seen....if they get too much slop in them it can cause all kinds of problems. One of our farms trucks had an issue....you had to jerk the wheel and turn the key at the same time to get it to start. You can pull the column apart and replace the parts. We just found a good column from another truck. Half a dozen bolts and a couple wire connections and your done.

If your looking for a better fix....there are usually several rebuilt columns on ebay.

dirty white boy
03-26-2011, 09:56 PM
From the ones I have seen....if they get too much slop in them it can cause all kinds of problems. One of our farms trucks had an issue....you had to jerk the wheel and turn the key at the same time to get it to start. You can pull the column apart and replace the parts. We just found a good column from another truck. Half a dozen bolts and a couple wire connections and your done.

If your looking for a better fix....there are usually several rebuilt columns on ebay.
yeah was doing the wiggle steering wheel an hold my mouth right for a while,...guess ill be lookin for a good standard column,..for now i just drooped the switch the rod runs to down under dash an work it with a small screw driver...redneck way every day...gets old tho'

bushracing67
03-27-2011, 06:26 PM
replacing the column is faster/easier than fixing what you have going on, odds are that rod didn't "come off", the rack that the rod is connected to prolly broke... just getting a boneyard column would be way easier, nothing wrong with keeping the tilt, just make sure you find a nice tight column with as few miles as possible