PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft length

mudderfudder
03-20-2011, 06:33 AM
I have a 2010 MastersBilt Gen X and I run a falcon trans. I called Mastersbilt and the told me i should run a 35 1/2 inch shaft whti that particular trans, but on the ground at ride heights there is only like 2 inches of the yoke showing. Does that sound ride or should i have a shorter shaft? I just bought a 35 1/2 inch carbon fiber shaft too.

Matt49
03-21-2011, 08:31 AM
With the car on the ground, put a jack under the driver's arse and jack the car up until the LR tire just barely comes off the ground. If you still have some drive shaft yoke then, you are probably okay. Any compression of the RR (which is what the car will actually experience on the track) will move the shaft OUT so you are playing out worst case scenario doing it this way.
This is also a good time to make sure your travel limiting device is working properly. I'm assuming that you have one but I often make that assumption and find that people are using their shocks as travel limiters. Not with my money.

hall99
03-21-2011, 10:03 AM
I have never been able to run a 35 1/2 inch drive shaft in a Mastersbilt car (smack or gen x) with an open motor. I have with a crate motor with no problems, I run a 34 1/2 with a longer yoke with an open motor.

mudderfudder
03-23-2011, 04:00 PM
I did jack car up last night under seat until the lr was about to lift off the ground and there was like an inch travel left. Is this enough clearence?

Matt49
03-24-2011, 07:42 AM
I would run it.

MasterSbilt65
04-04-2011, 10:14 PM
We have a GenX what lenth with a bert ball spline does a person need?

dchamp3
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
We run a 39''

bizkit
04-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I run a Flacon trans and have a gen-x and I knocked the seals out with a 35" shaft. I run a 34.5" now

crate late
04-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I set a camera up underneath to see what was going on with my driveshaft and liftbar and I was amazed when I played it back. I bet the driveshaft only travels in and out 1.5-2" total. You would think that with the LR hiked up it would see much more movement but I think the compression of the RR and the hike of the LR pretty much cancel each other out. The liftbar fooled me too. It has the rod running to the frame to keep it inline and I thought it would get close to the driveshaft when the LR dropped down and I was worried about it hitting the shaft. Truth is it never got any closer than it does at ride height. The top of it rolls around quite a bit(actually the car rolls around the rearend).