PDA

View Full Version : bump steer on metric

spencermod
03-20-2011, 09:57 PM
My mod has the metric stub with metric spindles, tie rods, center link.... literally everythings stock metric parts except for the upper A's. The bump is horrible on this thing...we scribed a line on the tires and had the toe gauge sitting in front of the tires and we pushed down on the front bumper with a 4 by 4 and the tires toed in a mile! Thought about getting tubular tie rods and heims to try to adjust it but whats the best way to help the bump on a car like mine with all metric parts???? Seen the new afco center link but read nothing but bad about it....HELP PLEASE!

cavemod
03-20-2011, 11:03 PM
i'm curious myself on this same issue.

rocketmod19
03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
go with the swage tube tie rods i would take your car and set the ride height and try and make the tie rods level thats the way my car is and it bumps out decent not the greatest but i can live with it

JR. MECHANIC
03-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Could you post a link or something on the 'bad' info about the new afco center link. I was getting ready to purchase one, but because of your post, I have decided to wait... thanks

texas racer
03-22-2011, 12:30 AM
If you can find some granada spindles throw the metric stuff away drill tie rod out to a 5/8 heim and tap spindle. Use the tall lower ball joint. The tie rod needs to be as close to the same angle as the lower a arm. I have some pictures of my older metric GRT I changed over about 6 years ago. I can have my son send them if you want.

spencermod
03-22-2011, 08:00 AM
http://www.racegang.com/index.php?do=/forum/pits-21/afco-drag-link/

spencermod
03-22-2011, 08:03 AM
pm sent texas racer

spencermod
03-22-2011, 08:10 AM
u might have to get a username and password to read the stuff from the link above. Pretty much all they say is that Afco just took a center link from a 92 camaro and put there name on it. I guess the attachment points for the idler arm and pitman arm are wider than a stock metric one, which makes your idler arm and pitman arm unparallel from each other which is a big no no

AH55
03-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Ya know, I noticed something when I was considering going to a camaro centerlink. I pulled up a picture on auto zones site of a 85 camaro centerlink. Then I pulled up speedways picture of the afco centerlink. I opened two different screens so I could put them right next to each other and I can swear their identical, and the duralast is only 50 bucks. Try it and correct me if I'm wrong.

MOD16CK
03-23-2011, 08:12 PM
I had an 06 Pierce and we checked bump steer on it, and it was to close to being right on that it didn't pay to mess with it. Pierce cars run metric spindles, nova lowers, metric center link,idler arm aand pitman arm, 5/8' hiem on spindle but they use 75-81 camero inner tie rods. With this setup you have to use a swedge tube that is 5/8 RH thread on one end and 11/16 LH thread on one end. Just putting this out there.

cassellracing24
03-24-2011, 03:34 AM
Good info.....