PDA

View Full Version : Leaf spring options

supertruck
03-21-2011, 05:49 AM
A general question - my S10 is running stock lowering leafs, and I use shackles to change the spring rate, and a 2" lowering block. Several companies make racing springs in different rates, but they are not lowered. So what is better - stock lowering springs with shackles and a 2" lowering block, or racing springs with a 4" lowering block to get the ride height down where it needs to be? I've heard the taller block has an adverse affect on handling that negates the racing spring's benefit.

Headhunter
03-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Blocks will only change heigh and not rate of a spring. Stock springs on a pick up are there to carry weight, That is the original intention of a truck after all so race springs will not have the high rate and arch of a stock spring.
One other big mistake I see all the time is that people will chase a certain ride height because that is what the rules allow. Problem with that is it usually destroys the geometry of the suspension so the car or truck will be worse than at a height that allows for the car/truck suspension to work better.
A race car that is built is designed to be at a certain ride height. When you start using stock parts in stock locations your trying to make them do things they are not designed to do and it puts things at bad angles etc.

supertruck
03-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Right headhunter, I know the lowering blocks don't affect spring rate. I was asking if there is any advantage or disadvantage when comparing a stock rate lowering spring with a 2" block, or the racing spring that requires a 4" block to get the same ride height. Some guys at my track, who run well, say the 4" block is a disadvantage compared to the 2" block. So they've gone to the stock lowering spring to get away from the tall block.

Headhunter
03-21-2011, 06:07 PM
The taller block I would imagine would increse torsional forces on the springs by a good amount. Trying to twist a leaf spring is not a good idea. If you can use race springs if not start pulling out leafs until you get some flex into the spring. Any stock leaf would be way to much to try and race with. Rates you need will depend on the weight of the truck, track surface, rear percentage you get where I'm going. But I would guess that 150 RR and 175 LR would be good areas to start.

supertruck
03-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks again Headhunter. i'm going to look for some of the racing springs, try to find some that have a little less arch than stock, and see what happens with the 2" blocks. That will put my rear heights up a bit, but like you said, if it works, so what. the truck is about 2600 pounds with around 54% on the front so your guess for the spring rates sounds about right.