PDA

View Full Version : tires

shaw33
03-21-2011, 11:47 AM
anybody know what yo use on hoosier g60s to get them to bit harder we have a track that you can sipe and treat them but no groveing. all info would be very appreciated. we run on smaller bone dry slick and smooth tracks

thanks

dirttrackrocker
03-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Talk to some Go Kart guys. They are up on the latest and greatest ways to soften tires.

flack_daddy
03-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Do you want to soften, add bite or both? PM me and I'll give you some info on multiple products that may benefit you. ....yes, I'm a kart guy.

1Blacksheep
03-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Tire softner will also soften your Liver, Kidneys,Lungs,Heart, Brain, Intestines and 99.9% of everything else in your body as it withers away in a Casket. Sad thing is it will do the same thing to my driver and his fans !!!!!:mad::mad::mad: Is That how everyone is racing the G-60 ??????

flack_daddy
03-25-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm afraid you're terribly misinformed. If handled correctly the leading commercial preps are relatively safe. Work in a well ventilated area and handle with gloves. A few chemicals used that are dangerous are methylnapthalene (goat pee) and creosote. Both are carcinogens. These as well as home brews by backyard chemists have given the prep game a bad name.

1Blacksheep
03-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Keep telling yourself that !!! Meanwhile I don't need any more chemical particulate matter floating around the track for my driver to breath. Feel free to list the ingriedients of the safe softners for our analysis.

wildman17j
03-26-2011, 01:09 PM
i agree with you 1blacksheep on this and i dont want to breath it or my driver but my kids go to every race with me and my race team and i dont wont some idiot putting tire softner on thier tires and it hurt my kids health. maybe if they was a race car driver they would be able to win with out softening tire or maybe they need to work on thier setup a little bit more instead of trying to run 20,000 dollar motor with 750 hp then maybe they could get thier car hooked up just my opinon

1cln_sdime
03-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Every lil bit helps if anyone has any info on making the tire more drivable let me know. We realy cant go any softer bc they will be cheking that every week, but i know i use to race rc cars and we had somthing that would keep the ware on the tire about the same and the softness but the tire would grip 10x better. Also to help alot of u cleaning and proper grinding will help alot, it will nock the gloss off the tire and a good cleaner will open the tire up, pm me with any info anyone has please

Dirtrace54
03-28-2011, 07:49 PM
I think a few of you read the first statement wrong. I beleive he wants to harden them. Did I read that correctly?

stock car driver
03-28-2011, 08:21 PM
anybody know what yo use on hoosier g60s to get them to bit harder we have a track that you can sipe and treat them but no groveing. all info would be very appreciated. we run on smaller bone dry slick and smooth tracks

thanks

bone dry slick tracks, you dont need to sipe them. you want all the rubber you can get on the track, dont flip them let them wear one way and stay that way.

personally I think they are too soft for dry tracks as it is.

If I had a semi trailer for a hauler I would save some outside in the snow for a year and save them for dry track rr tires. but thats not feasible.

flack_daddy
03-28-2011, 09:06 PM
blacksheep-

www.tracktac.com,

You can contact them for the material safety data sheets, they have them on hand for anyone. Lets call these chemicals or preps not softeners. Not all of these chemicals soften, if you researched before speaking you would likely know this. Some can build tons of bite and never move the durometer. Ingredients of these preps are not given out.

As far as ingredients......Do you think the Colonel will ever tell you the 11 herbs and spices, get real. The chemist who works for this company is a safety nut. He has several degrees in chemistry, and KNOWS his stuff. Much more about chemical safety than I can ever hope to know about just about anything. Stay off the "softeners" all you want, I'm sure your competition would love for you to.

Wildman- Get the setup AND tires right and check out. The tires are the one thing that links your car to the track and applies the forces to the chassis. You adjust the chassis according to how these forces applied to the chassis affect its handling. Limited bite = limited speed, add bite and you can inherently go faster.

In the end, if the rules for the thread starter do not have anything against chemical alteration then he is doing nothing wrong, just trying to go faster. That is the name of the game!

1Blacksheep
03-29-2011, 04:25 PM
So you are saying you don't know whats in it !!!! How do you give an MSDS for a chemical without giving its name. LOL . The Disclaimer pretty much says it. TOXICITY got my attention. That means its not good for you. I have done all the research required,Thanks. And I have played with treatments , They are unpredictable as to the end result and repeatability night after night and have been proven to change lives. Other than being victimized by others practices I would say use them all you want. We are no stranger to passing doctored tires for a win because of the consistancy of our equipment and a car that uses its rubber efficiently. Race on and goodluck with your health. ;)

flack_daddy
03-29-2011, 09:10 PM
As I said, just contact Randy Ransom, chemist for track tac. Epa keeps a good eye on them, this stuff is documented. Go buy some mineral spirits and check it for a disclaimer, it has it as well. It's also commonly used in preps. Does that mean you won't use it in your parts wash? If you were truly afraid of chemicals this much then you'd never show up at a race track. Exhaust alone contains many more carcinogens than preps. Track tac by the way is made with no known carcinogens, per Randy.

About preps being unpredictable.... way off. The repeatability of results with the line of preps I use is what wins races for myself, and those whom I help with tires. I will mention that I do not use the product mentioned, but it is blended by ATTL products, the same company that produces track tac. Consistency can be sporadic if the user is not experienced.

I won't disagree with you that setup is a huge deal, much bigger in cars than karts. With karts we run a baseline setup and tune with tires. I want you to know, I'm not attacking you, just discussion between two people, one being right, one being wrong! hahaha

I do know that many well known kart tire guys are going to car tires and doing BIG business. Not only prepping, but profile cutting and detailed finishes. People are paying big bucks for it, so I'm sure the results are there. I'm afraid cars will also go the way of karts where prepping and cutting becomes a must on even the local level. Racers will do what it takes to win, if not, they're just riding around, and not a real racer IMO. Sure racing is fun, but who likes losing? If nobody stumbled upon preps I'd get a lot more sleep! I wish I could just cut my tires, run them and win.....till that day, the juice is loose!

Egoracing
03-30-2011, 07:19 AM
bone dry slick tracks, you dont need to sipe them. you want all the rubber you can get on the track, dont flip them let them wear one way and stay that way.

personally I think they are too soft for dry tracks as it is.

If I had a semi trailer for a hauler I would save some outside in the snow for a year and save them for dry track rr tires. but thats not feasible.

Siping creates heat which makes the tire softer, on a hard track you need edges more to cut into the track and a harder compound to get it to dig. Cut them with a small blade to create 1/8 inch lines to gain edges and reduce heat while keeping rubber on the track. Get a LARGE tub that the complete tire will fit into. When at the track fill it with water and ice. When the tire is hot from the track get it into the ice water to cool it quiclky and it will create a harder surface on the tire. The more that you do it the better the treatment will make it harder deeper. There were several track where we had to do this when we ran mods and we did it on some track with the late model when we could not get a tire hard enough. Gotta love some of the old oil base tracks, a dirt tack with lines painted on them and about as hard as asphalt. Hoosier D70's were to soft for some of them.

Track-Tac Products
06-07-2011, 01:27 PM
We take pride in making sure we offer the public a safer product. We keep a close eye to make sure none of our chemicals are reported as a carcinogenic or on the "hit list" for dangerous chemicals. There is no such thing as a safe chemical but I guarantee that all of our products are no different than handling your basic house or shop cleaners or chemicals. If any one would like to discuss this feel free to give me a call.

Chris Harris
www.tracktac.com
office: 336-474-3500
mobile: 336-345-0445
fax: 336-475-0100
email: charris@attl.com

dirttrackrocker
06-07-2011, 01:46 PM
So you are saying you don't know whats in it !!!! How do you give an MSDS for a chemical without giving its name. LOL . The Disclaimer pretty much says it. TOXICITY got my attention. That means its not good for you. I have done all the research required,Thanks. And I have played with treatments , They are unpredictable as to the end result and repeatability night after night and have been proven to change lives. Other than being victimized by others practices I would say use them all you want. We are no stranger to passing doctored tires for a win because of the consistancy of our equipment and a car that uses its rubber efficiently. Race on and goodluck with your health. ;)

Have you ever read the MSDS for shampoo???? I have, it will scare the $hit out of you!!!!

adadsms232
06-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks a lot