PDA

View Full Version : pinto trans ?

lazer16
03-25-2011, 04:46 AM
I need to change the tail shaft on my pinto trans and install one from a mustang to go into the mustang was told I need to do this for it to work in a mustang is this true and if so how hard is this change looks like it will work the way it is.

boportt
03-25-2011, 05:32 AM
you waz told rong! all u do is put the pinto bellhousin on the pinto trans bolt to the mustang moter , cut a diff hole in the floor for shifter make a trans mount.

u cant swap tail shafts they dont fit cuz the output shafts is diffirent

Norton22
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
lazer

you can swap the tail shaft we do it all the time but the way bo said is the easy way. we swap them because of the screw in shifter coming out so we swap to bolt in.

biggy72
05-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Norton22,

I am trying to swap my tail shafts right now, but I can't figure out how to get the tail shaft off of the transmission. Any advice? Also it looks like the shift rod end has the same configuration on both transmissions, but the three bolt shift rod is shorter. Is there anything else that needs to be swapped?

Thanks

ministockrcr16
05-19-2013, 12:08 PM
there is a clip inside the transmission you have to remove, also you will have to change the shift rod

biggy72
05-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Is the clip on the main shaft against the rear wall of the transmission? Does it come out with a magnet or something? There's not must room behind the last row of gears.