PDA

View Full Version : Gear Ratio

Bravodoggie
03-25-2011, 08:40 AM
I have a question for all the racers out there. If ultimatly every race car driver wants to run a 1:1 ratio... why is no one running a huge gear and running their car forth gear. I have done some searching around on the internet looking for huge gear and actually did find 680 and 700 gear. What I am wondering is has anyone tried this and what was their results. Or maybe you have an opinion about this. Either way let me know what you think.

Headhunter
03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
For what rear end? Maybe a 9in Ford but you will not find that gear for a Ford 7.5 or 8.8 or for the GM 7.5, Toyota or any FWD for that matter.

Some time ago I think someone posted Data from a chassis dyno that showed the effect of running double reduction (both trans mission and rear gear) was minimal on power to the rear wheels and the rotating weight of the 9 in sucks more power out of the car than the transmission does.

Racedad
03-25-2011, 12:59 PM
WAAY more gearing possibilities without resorting to 9in or quickchange.

Bravodoggie
03-29-2011, 09:00 AM
The gear I found was actually for a 8.8 rear end. If your interested I could find the website again and send it to you or post it up here. So your saying there would be no advantage to running that gear due to the fact that your running double reduction?

Headhunter
03-29-2011, 10:03 AM
None compared to the added weight of either a 9 inch or the 8.8 over the 7.5.

I think the best I ever saw for the 8.8 is a 6.14 unless someone has made new gears recently. Still the 7.5 is more than strong enough and much lighter than the 8.8 to more than make up the differences in parasitic losses of running the double reduction.