PDA

View Full Version : rack won't turn left

cratelate1382
03-26-2011, 11:05 AM
03 Black frontend Rocket, replaced old leaking Woodward rack with new Woodward rack. First, had to grind off casting boss under input shaft and releive notch in crossmember. Second had to remove lockwasher and rework bolt holding power asssist cylinder bracket to rack (for clearance of right lower control arm bolt).
Now rack is mounted in car. When rack is centered (right to left) both inner tie rod end are about 1 1/2" to the right of the lower control arm inner mounting bolts. Rack will steer HARD right, but VERY little left.This is with the right tie rod set to the Rocket spec of 19 1/4" lenght.
I can change tie rod lenghts and rack will steer equal right and left, but I'm sure my bumpsteer will be junk.(as rack tie rod ends aren't anywhere near lining up with lower control arm mounting bolts)
It seems my options are- change tie rods- and the h*ll with bump steer or cut off rack mount and move it to the left. I must be missing SOMETHING?

Sorry for long post, but wanted to give all info.
Thanks to all that reply.
Confused

izzy9
03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
i have a05 black front end and its just what you describe but i think you will find this is normal. you need to be able to counter steer more to right.

scrub_fan
03-26-2011, 05:26 PM
we have a 06 and is the same thing turns hard right becouse of caster/camber if ou watch when you turn right the right side of the nose will lift up

dzona99z
03-26-2011, 11:40 PM
hey scrub, i think he means it steers sharper to the right than left, but it should do that.

hucktyson
03-27-2011, 06:17 PM
You should not be grinding on the housing of the rack ever! any clearance should have been made on the cross member of the car and if you didnt have enough clearance on the right front lower aram bolt your front end isbent to the left, when they get pushed to the left the rack sits in the car crooked and you will have no clearance on the right side bolt but a ton on the left side bolt.