PDA

View Full Version : Raising front roll center

RW57
03-27-2011, 12:11 AM
I know using the tall ball joints on top a frame raises front roll center what does using the tall ball joints on bottom a frame do. We are going to tall ball joints on top unsure about bottom yet . Rented a track last week 5 cars 3 late models 2 camaro clip cars. One of the late model owner/ drivers who I raced against years ago came over talking to me about my sons car he suggested taller spindles to raise roll center car has wide 5 hubs but I do not know brand of spindles I asked would taller ball joints do the same thing he said yes. He talked about how on the late models they really try to plant car on right front and on his 2 cars which are rockets they use spindles which are cut above spindle and made taller . I think they get them from a very well known late model driver. The car has very little angle in top a frames that is the first thing he noticed. My son bought the car and we have reworked a lot of things on it the clip was put on very high so to get ride hgt I have to run the jack screws down so we get very little angle in top a frame the other thing I noticed was the car needs more negative camber we talked about that too as he said it would be hard to get a lot of camber gain on car. It has amazed me how much you can see going on with car by watching out side the turns at what the suspension is doing something I would have never thought of 30 years ago when I raced limited sportsman cars. By the way the car is a camaro clip 3 link rear it does have angled rear control arms as it was a malibu years ago. Weight is 2800 with driver. Car was extremely tight on corner entry on a track that had been raced on the nite before and no water added sat morning I finally got car freed up by trailing right rear a 1/2 inch car had 4 in of roll out he suggested going to 6 to rotate car but I did not have tires to do it

stockcar5
03-27-2011, 09:50 AM
taller lower ball joints also raise your roll center. they also affect your bump steer.

bittight
03-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Might be a dumb question,but will raising the engine up in front a half inch on motor mounts raise the roll center up any or will it even be noticed ?? I know it has to raise the center of gravity up but what effects will it have ???