PDA

View Full Version : SBC Block, Crank and Camshaft questions...

F22 RAPTOR
03-27-2011, 11:24 PM
SBC Blocks:
When is it necessary to use a raised cam block?
Is it just when running long stroke cranks?
Is 3.75 stroke long enough to warrant paying more for a raised cam block?
Who makes the best steel block? Why?

SBC Cranks:
What about mains, 350 or 400? Why?
Who makes the best crank?
Anybody still make a 100% USA crank? Who?

SBC Cams:
What about cam diameter, when is it needed to go 50mm?
Is it just a strength issue or performance or what?
Who makes the best Roller cams for supers? Why?

fast_crew
03-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Can't say when there really needed but, raised cam has a few benefits, allows the use of shorter pushrods (less flex, less harmonics). A larger cam core and base circle (again less flex and harmonics, and easier on the lifters) Best crank, made in U.S. ... my guess Bryant. Best steel block.. Dart, Little M or use the SHP... Best roller cam is the one that suits your engine and driving style, hint... it's most likely NOT the one specd out by Comp or any other big name cam grinder.

F22 RAPTOR
03-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Can't say when there really needed but, raised cam has a few benefits, allows the use of shorter pushrods (less flex, less harmonics). A larger cam core and base circle (again less flex and harmonics, and easier on the lifters) Best crank, made in U.S. ... my guess Bryant. Best steel block.. Dart, Little M or use the SHP... Best roller cam is the one that suits your engine and driving style, hint... it's most likely NOT the one specd out by Comp or any other big name cam grinder.

Thanks, Josh. That is exactly the kinda response I was looking for. Whose cams do you like, besides Kim Kardasshian, LOL.

Rocky
04-01-2011, 02:29 AM
The guy that I got my car from has his turned for him by a local shop in Pa can't remember the name but I can call him if you want. I personally have a speedway cam grew up swearing by comp but when I say so now people seem to wonder why. And actually after the recommendation they gave me for my heads and carb I kind of do too......