PDA

View Full Version : GM 572 crate motor

hsracer
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Has anybody talked about using this motor in super late model. It has 720hp and 685lb-ft of torque.

F22 RAPTOR
03-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Has anybody talked about using this motor in super late model. It has 720hp and 685lb-ft of torque.

It's a big block.... I haven't seen anyone try to use a big block in late model since Jack Pennington did it back in 1990 at Cherokee, which was a very long straight away track that liked big power. To much unnecessary nose weight for most to consider it. I kicked around the idea of trying a big block, you can get used big Block mod engines pretty cheap, but the weight is an issue and you can match the power with a small block. Another thing is that extremely long stroke in that 572 won't bode well in oval track racing, where your on and off the throttle. With a big cube engine like that, you'd have to be glass smooth with your throttle control to keep from killing it... Back in the glory days, the 1970's big blocks were common up north where the tracks tended to be longer and tacky and big power was a large part of the equation. Down south a large quantity of our tracks tended to be hard and slick and we tended to have some what smaller budgets and pay outs, so the small block was the weapon of choice in Dixie from an economic and performance stand point. Nowadays you don't need a "Big" block to make big power, but they are impressive. JMO

turner
03-31-2011, 03:36 PM
A guy around our area has run one, or still does.Not sure.I think he used to run montgomery co and i know he runns belleclaire , but not sure if he is still running a big block.He runs the 16 H .Hammerlee i believe.

4bangerhotrod
03-31-2011, 06:44 PM
for what you pay for the 720 hp 572 you could build a 700 hp 23* small block and have smoother more driveable power with alot less nose weight

F22 RAPTOR
03-31-2011, 07:01 PM
for what you pay for the 720 hp 572 you could build a 700 hp 23* small block and have smoother more driveable power with alot less nose weight

Exactly, you just can't justify that weight on the nose. Sure 572 sounds impressive, but if you wanna win the BBC isn't the answer, even an aluminum one.

hucktyson
03-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Thats were your wrong edge raceing engines has bet the farm on big blocks taking over !!!!!!! I mean why on earth would you want a 350lb peice that makes 875 when you could have a 500 lb peice that makes a 1000 when you cant hook up more than 750 anyway ? i mean just think all that extra power you cant use and that boat anchor hanging in front of the mid plate!!!! what a dream come true !!!!

hall99
04-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Francis ran a big block several times last year built by Russell Baker.

hucktyson
04-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Yes he did ! And its for sale lol

Dirt Man
04-01-2011, 12:21 PM
You all better listen to old Huck cause he knows everything!!!!

F22 RAPTOR
04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Francis ran a big block several times last year built by Russell Baker.
And how'd that go for him?
Since then he's changed engine builders and car builders...
Don't get me wrong I respect a BBC, but it really has no useful place in DLM, it's just overkill. Maybe a titanium block is the answer....LOL

shocker33
04-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Francis will still run a big block in select events in the Tim Logan ride. Whether its in the rocket or the barry wright (Logan has both) has yet to be seen. Francis didn't switch motor builders in the Logan ride, that has and will be Russell Baker powered, he had Customs in his own equipment. The big block also got rave reveiws from Clanton (he "borrowed" it). Its only about 25# heavier than their alum stuff and has a pretty drivable torque curve.

F22 RAPTOR
04-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Francis will still run a big block in select events in the Tim Logan ride. Whether its in the rocket or the barry wright (Logan has both) has yet to be seen. Francis didn't switch motor builders in the Logan ride, that has and will be Russell Baker powered, he had Customs in his own equipment. The big block also got rave reveiws from Clanton (he "borrowed" it). Its only about 25# heavier than their alum stuff and has a pretty drivable torque curve.

25#???? The Dart aluminum BBC block alone weighs 45# more than the Dart SBC. Well, good luck with that, I love BBC but can't see why you would want to add extra weight when you can achieve identical performance in a lighter package and cheaper to boot. Anybody have any idea what kinda cubic inch this BBC is that Francis is playing with?

hucktyson
04-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Im pretty sure its a 506 cubic inch. I love hearing this 25lb deal, a spread bore small block is 25lb heavyer. I mean if you have a 55 lb crank a standard weight block, heavy rods and pistons and a steel oil pan on the small block and then you have a lightened block and heads,an ultralight crank. a gun drilled cam, titanium rods and main caps, carbon fiber valve covers a platic intake etc then maybe your cose to 25 lbs differant but theres no way in hell if your comparing 2 motors with all of the same type of componenets that the big block is only 25 lbs more.

F22 RAPTOR
04-02-2011, 07:16 AM
I've got a question, how does an all aluminum BBC compare in weight to an all steel limited SBC? Just curious.