PDA

View Full Version : shocks turned over

frontrunner
03-28-2011, 08:29 PM
I run pro shocks just the oil shocks.. ?I have seen some guys run then upside down but mostly on the right side of the car what does running then upside down do? I have nevver done it that way..... Thanks

stock car driver
03-28-2011, 08:43 PM
not supposed to run those upside down

frontrunner
03-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Smebody told me running them upside dne that the oil would not get hot and foam up sooo I should not do that then rgt???? Thanks again

coleman63
03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Pro's website says you can run them upside down, ran them that way all the time before I got Bilsteins and never had an issue. The idea is to reduce unsprung weight by keeping the heavy body end attached to the chassis.

Egoracing
03-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Coleman is correct, We ran them upside down for years on the late model and never had any issues.

frontrunner
03-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Ok thanks.. But it I dont want to run them upside down like I always have will that be ok... Or does it matter, I dnt want to run them upside down if I dont have to... THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO

F22 RAPTOR
05-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Ok thanks.. But it I dont want to run them upside down like I always have will that be ok... Or does it matter, I dnt want to run them upside down if I dont have to... THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO

You don't have to run them upside down if you don't want to. Secondly running them upside down has no effect on foaming(cavitation) or over heating. Running them upside down is strictly a sprung weight advantage. Years ago some cheaper shocks wouldn't function upside down due to air pockets in the shocks, if you turned those shocks upside down the air pocket was put right at the base valve and could effect performance. Modern dual tubes don't suffer this problem if assembled correctly, so you can run upside down if you want to, but you don't have to.

hotrod4890
05-16-2011, 12:56 AM
I think what they are doing is just running the right front upside down so the body of the shock doesn't hit the upper control arm with the soft right front spring in the car and increased travel of todays setups. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know everybody has a ding in their shock where the upper control arm has hit before....

PIERCE3J
05-16-2011, 07:22 AM
You are correct. The upper control arm could and usually does put a ding in the shock tube on the RF when you bottom out real hard. I run my front shocks with the shaft on top and stopped denting my own shocks.

F22 RAPTOR
05-16-2011, 10:36 AM
I think what they are doing is just running the right front upside down so the body of the shock doesn't hit the upper control arm with the soft right front spring in the car and increased travel of todays setups. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know everybody has a ding in their shock where the upper control arm has hit before....
Very good point.

usafracer
05-17-2011, 01:03 AM
I know most of my R/F shocks have a ding in them.