PDA

View Full Version : Carb suggestions?

DIRTFUNFAN
03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
ok guys i am looking for some suggestions on a carb about 750cfm.. we been using a proform 750 and i hate it, and driver hates it. says the throttle response is terrible.. he is a real pedal it type of driver and says the carb is hard to ease in and out of.. i seen the one on speedwaymotors that gaerte made looks like a decent deal for 800 bucks.. not looking to spend a fortune just something to limited late race wid on saturday nights.. out of the box with not a whole lot of adjustments would be great as well.. thanks u guys are always awesome..

TCmod
03-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Braswell and Willy's seem to be the best out there. Are you planning on selling the proform if you can find another carb?

fast_crew
03-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Give Dayton Umholtz @ Kinetic Performance a try. You won't be disappointed.

hucktyson
03-30-2011, 05:22 AM
braswell is well know as the best out there, kb also builds a good carb but there is not much out there in the 800 range unless you buy used.

ptodd
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
for that kind of money try a quickfuels. other than that stealth or braswell perfer stealth.

dynoman14
04-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Dirtfun,
I have worked on probably 25 proforms since Christmas. I am guessing their standard set-up is for drag racing as they usually have the rear power valve blocked off...they require a little tuning and replacement of some parts depending on the model and who built it or sold it to you. They turn out to be a pretty decent carb after a little work. If you don' want to keep it I have Willy's, Stealth's, Raptures, Braswells and others that I can trade you, if you don't want to keep the Pro-form.

Drivability boils down to how much fuel is delivered -vs- throttle position -vs- engine signal. If you get too much or too little of any of the 3 you have problems. Believe it or not every carburetor from a 1bbl Rochester to 950 Super carb, they all react to the same thing and make great power when the fuel curve is matched to engine signal.

BTW, I don't know too many engines or race cars that respond well to instant secondary opening, yea plenty of people run it cause it makes big power on the engine dyno & they can feel the car jerk around and break loose and it feels like a ton of power but the smooth controllable acceleration will always be faster on the track. I guess one day folks will figure out they are not racing engine dynos.

If you can't find help locally, you can ship it down if you want to see what it will do and then decide from there.

I run maybe 20-25 carbs a week on my chassis dyno and yes, I do the first pull for free and give you an evaluation of power/torque and drivability. I need to know the fuel you run and the engine type, rpm range of the engine, corner entry rpm & corner exit rpm.

Just PM me if you need any further info...I keep a running average of cost and HP increase and after 387carburetors the average cost is $337 and 17hp increase.

DIRTFUNFAN
04-01-2011, 11:14 AM
thanks guys,
yall have been a big help, i really dont wanna spend no money on this carb it was like 500 bucks brand new from competition products.. i have found a c&s carb new from a fellow racer for 800 dont seem like a bad deal i dont think. we had a 940 2 barrell from c&s one time that was awesome driver loved it.. he says everyday we shouldnt have sold it.. and u are right them proform are made for fag racers i mean drag racers and it was blocked off when we got it.. is there a way to not make a carb be so wide open when the secondary side opens up?

50j
04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
thanks guys,
yall have been a big help, i really dont wanna spend no money on this carb it was like 500 bucks brand new from competition products.. i have found a c&s carb new from a fellow racer for 800 dont seem like a bad deal i dont think. we had a 940 2 barrell from c&s one time that was awesome driver loved it.. he says everyday we shouldnt have sold it.. and u are right them proform are made for fag racers i mean drag racers and it was blocked off when we got it.. is there a way to not make a carb be so wide open when the secondary side opens up?

Check your private messages.

50j
04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Dirtfun,
I have worked on probably 25 proforms since Christmas. I am guessing their standard set-up is for drag racing as they usually have the rear power valve blocked off...they require a little tuning and replacement of some parts depending on the model and who built it or sold it to you. They turn out to be a pretty decent carb after a little work. If you don' want to keep it I have Willy's, Stealth's, Raptures, Braswells and others that I can trade you, if you don't want to keep the Pro-form.

Drivability boils down to how much fuel is delivered -vs- throttle position -vs- engine signal. If you get too much or too little of any of the 3 you have problems. Believe it or not every carburetor from a 1bbl Rochester to 950 Super carb, they all react to the same thing and make great power when the fuel curve is matched to engine signal.

BTW, I don't know too many engines or race cars that respond well to instant secondary opening, yea plenty of people run it cause it makes big power on the engine dyno & they can feel the car jerk around and break loose and it feels like a ton of power but the smooth controllable acceleration will always be faster on the track. I guess one day folks will figure out they are not racing engine dynos.

If you can't find help locally, you can ship it down if you want to see what it will do and then decide from there.

I run maybe 20-25 carbs a week on my chassis dyno and yes, I do the first pull for free and give you an evaluation of power/torque and drivability. I need to know the fuel you run and the engine type, rpm range of the engine, corner entry rpm & corner exit rpm.

Just PM me if you need any further info...I keep a running average of cost and HP increase and after 387carburetors the average cost is $337 and 17hp increase.

Just run for office and be done with it.

fwb35
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
From personal experience, I wouldn't send dynoman anything.