PDA

View Full Version : Main bolts to main studs

dirtdevil
03-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Got a block that has ARP main bolts in it. If switching to ARP studs, will it need line honed/bored??

dirttrackrocker
03-29-2011, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't think so, your not changing the alignment anywhere.

usafracer
03-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes 100% yes. If you dont believe me torque the caps with the bolts and measure then torque them with the studs and measure. I have seen as much as 15 thou change.

fast_crew
03-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Correct it should be line honed, no different than changing rod bolts, or using a torque plate with different fasteners or gaskets then you will be running.

Egoracing
03-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Agree, studs apply force differently than bolts.

stock car driver
03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Ive got 3 motors with studs in the mains and no line hone was done.

Not sure if my motor builder measures the main line so he doesnt over tq them or what, I can ask if anyone wants to know.

I know I have no brg or oil issues and hes been putting studs in for a few years now for me.

parrot69777
03-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Have been doing it for years and have never seen any differences in bearing clearance when switching from bolts to studs.

If you have a cap crushing down .015 more with a stud than a bolt....you have serious problems somewhere.

Two reasons people use studs over bolts. A stud does not flex as much as a bolt under load and if you freshen an engine several times....the torque is being applied to the nut on the end of the stud where as the bolt is being torqued by the threads in the block.

CNC BLOCKS
04-02-2011, 06:59 AM
I am sure there is a differance between the using bolts and going to studs as the stud usies a fine thread on the top which increases clamping strenth.

We have machined around 130 of the Dart SHP blocks and have added studs to most of the block we sell and we do meassure before adding the studs and after and we do see a differance most of the time but only a few tenths.

And if any one has bought a block from our shops they are all line honed to 2.6415 on the 350 mains and 400 mains we fininsh to 2.8415, BBC is finished to 2.938 ETC.

usafracer
Yes 100% yes. If you dont believe me torque the caps with the bolts and measure then torque them with the studs and measure. I have seen as much as 15 thou change.

That would be hard to beleive!!!!!!

ARP recomnends the blocks be line honed after installing their hardware and that using their bolts or studs!!!!