PDA

View Full Version : ride height and suspention ????????

bigtuna76
03-29-2011, 12:52 PM
i just found this sight on a google search lots of good info here.

i am new to dirt racing and have been doing lots of reading. we built a early 80s cutlass. i have been looking for info on what a good starting point would be for ride heights. now its at lf 6 13/16 rf 7 3/8
lr 9 5/8 rr 10 1/4

thats where they ended up with the weights right. our rules dont allow jack bolts or moving and suspention parts. everything must remain in stock postition. no drilling the frame for pinion angle. no spring buckets but can run racing springs and shocks.

any ideas on how to get pinion angle? arms must remain stock bushings must be stock all mounting holes must be in stock location.

any help would be great thanks yall

bigtuna76
03-31-2011, 12:01 PM
any help???????? am i that far off or is our rules that screwed up noone has an opinion.

thanks for any help

keithbaker
03-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Do rules allow offset bushings to adjust pinion angle? If you are a good fab guy, you could weld in something to fill in the stock holes on frame and grind it down smooth then drill a new hole where you want it. Just weld a washer on outside when youre done so it strengthens it up. You could put shorter springs in rear to get rear ride heights down, also could move lead further back, just try to keep it in front of rearend.

raceman17
03-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Cut the upper trailing arms in half and overlap them by about 1/2" to 3/4" and weld them on the inside and outside of the arm. Grind off the weld on the outside and smooth over with bondo and paint them black. Make sure you weld some washers over the mounting hole on the rearend side so the bolt holes dont tear out.

stock car driver
03-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Why would you need to change the pinion angle?

Is your motor mounted at a DRASTIC angle or level in the chassis?

keithbaker
03-31-2011, 11:13 PM
True, if everything is in stock location the pinion angle should be good where its at.

bigtuna76
04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
everything is within 1/4 inch of stock location. i was just looking for a lil more it has just a lil less than 4 degrees of angle its more than 3 3/4 but less than 4 with my elcheapo angle finder. in it was wanting about 6 to 6.5

no we can only use stock bushings. the problem with cutting and rewelding the uppers is the tec man gets tecnical enough that he measures the lenth bolt to bolt.

and with moving the bolt hole wouldnt that put the bushings in a bind without moving the eyes on top of the rearend.

thanks yall