PDA

View Full Version : 602 oil level

zlssefi
03-29-2011, 10:19 PM
i know there has been some discussion regarding the oil level topic. When running an oil cooler do you run the 8 quarts, or can you drop to 7 quarts? any ideas?

citiracer
04-01-2011, 07:45 AM
With no oil cooler, 7 quarts puts you right to the top of the kick-out so that when you pull the check-bolt the oil is right on it.
I would say you would want the crankcase level to remain the same. So I don't think anybody can tell you how much more oil to run without knowing what kind of oil cooler it is, how long your lines are, etc. You'll probably just have to check it once the system is full and then add until you've got the crankcase level back where it needs to be. JMO

zlssefi
04-01-2011, 10:10 PM
i tried it out tonite, changed the oil, filled the filter, then put the remaining in the pan. A total of 7 quarts, with the engine running i had about 1/4 inch of oil on the check bolt. The cooler is maybe 6 inches by 10 inches, two inches thick with two 20 inch lines. Im thinking i had too much oil in it for the past two seasons....

Chris Steele
04-05-2011, 10:21 PM
We run 7qts without a cooler.

brad hibbard
04-06-2011, 09:02 AM
i tried it out tonite, changed the oil, filled the filter, then put the remaining in the pan. A total of 7 quarts, with the engine running i had about 1/4 inch of oil on the check bolt. The cooler is maybe 6 inches by 10 inches, two inches thick with two 20 inch lines. Im thinking i had too much oil in it for the past two seasons....

your cooler and lines had to of still been completely full of oil which is rare I would recheck the level

we have things like "oil level checking" listed on our website under ---crate engine FAQ

Brad
www.race-1.com