PDA

View Full Version : adding stock clip to a old late model???

dirty white boy
03-30-2011, 03:47 PM
got a early 90s BWRC chassis i want put a stock clip on it for limited sportsman rules,..any suggestions on doing this an pictures would be cool!! an suggestions on witch clip an why?? thanks for any reply's!

dirttrackrocker
03-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Done it several times. Use a Camaro clip. The main rails on most Late Models line up perfectly with a camaro clip. Be sure to build yourself a jig of sorts to make sure everything is level. Check for square and make sure you have it chained or clamped down before welding so it doesn't warp.

dirty white boy
04-01-2011, 09:58 PM
thanks for the reply,...was hoping to get more!! its a square tube,2x2 chassis,..clip lot bigger,...how some yall making it work???

steveshawjr
04-02-2011, 04:57 PM
ours is a older 2x2 mastersbilt with a camoro clip like said befor the main rails are pritty close

we cut the old lm clip just befor the mid plate bars we do all the messuring of the mid plate bars

cut the clip just when it starts to go up slide it over the main rails do all the messuring tack it re mesure weld than jump from siode to side welding to help not warp anything. also you may have to take some flat plate to hematch the stock clip and the main rails just as there could be some gaps and other things we redo the main front hoop aswell we leave about 3" if the lm main hoop just befor the midplate that way we can slid in a smaaler pice of tubing weld it in than you have a good bung to wel the new hoop to insted of trying to but welld a new one in if done right you can clean it up nice and it still looks like oraganl hoop

Chuckster421
04-02-2011, 06:07 PM
If clip is much bigger, make sure you are not working with impala. it can be done, and has with e-mods. If rear of frame is down center, that is camaro. If you have a kickout on both sides that is impala. let me know I have done both. The only other one you could have is 73-76 nova! They are much bigger in the front though.

dirty white boy
04-04-2011, 05:49 PM
clip has to be no shorter than 12 inches from center of spring,..an far enuff forward of spring to use stock steering box mounts,..probably gonna be camaro/nova clip or chevelle type,..can get a 70 nova clip but there defenant than the populer 70-81 camaro....thanks for yalls replys!!

steveshawjr
04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
not the best pic but heres ours from 2006
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/sbrvin/newss.jpg6

vipracing11B
04-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Look into using a 65 ford galaxie. We just clipped a 96 BWRC with one. That is the base design for all Latemodle dirt cars so they would ideally work the same.

stock car driver
04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
If you dont have a side to side wheel base rule I dont know why you would EVER put the clip on square.

I would turn it 1.5.

DirtRacer317
04-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Stock car driver, What way would you turn the clip?. shorter on the left?

stock car driver
04-06-2011, 07:15 AM
yes shorter on the left, modifieds are turned 1.5 maybe even 2 inches.

a1driver
04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
stock car driver
yes shorter on the left, modifieds are turned 1.5 maybe even 2 inches. ?? How would you get that to come off the corner?

stock car driver
04-06-2011, 01:29 PM
stock car driver
yes shorter on the left, modifieds are turned 1.5 maybe even 2 inches. ?? How would you get that to come off the corner?

By turning the steering wheel to the right.

Its not any new technology most sanctions have rules written against it or to combat it being used to extremes.

Go karts for oval track have a inch and their wheel base is maybe 45" total?

dirty white boy
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
only rules bout it is stock frame has to go back 12 inches from spring center an use stock sterring box an mounts,stock lowers...104 wheelbase...dont say witch side,..ive herd of turning the clip,..but dont know why or nuttun else bout it..

stock car driver
04-06-2011, 05:20 PM
only rules bout it is stock frame has to go back 12 inches from spring center an use stock sterring box an mounts,stock lowers...104 wheelbase...dont say witch side,..ive herd of turning the clip,..but dont know why or nuttun else bout it..

makes the car turn way way better. i trailed the lf a arm on my pavement car and could tell the difference the first time on the track. i built my stock clip late with the clip turned and its still winning races 10 years later in canada.

a1driver
04-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm thinking that would make the car come off the corner with the rear hanging out, hence the turning to the right, last i checked a car that drove straight out of the corner was the fast way.

newguy
04-06-2011, 10:17 PM
seems to me that the car would turn better. correct me if im wrong but its the same principal as leading the rear end with out having to mess with any of the rear suspension. To my knowledge the top modified builders and latemodel builders are doing it. On my new metric chassis ill be doing this.

dirty white boy
04-06-2011, 10:31 PM
not the best pic but heres ours from 2006
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/sbrvin/newss.jpg6

thanks for posting pic,..i was planning on useing lot less stock frame tho'

stock car driver
04-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm thinking that would make the car come off the corner with the rear hanging out, hence the turning to the right, last i checked a car that drove straight out of the corner was the fast way.

I dont know if your living under a rock or have NEVER been to a dirt track race or what?

If you dont understand it why are you even commenting?

BUT the facts are late models and mods are all built this way and have been forever it is not new.

a1driver
04-07-2011, 11:51 AM
ya, thats me on the new geico commercial,lol. must be where your from you cant get a car to turn so you're crutching them. i dont understand how you compare a street stock to a 4 bar mod/late?

stock car driver
04-07-2011, 11:59 AM
ya, thats me on the new geico commercial,lol. must be where your from you cant get a car to turn so you're crutching them. i dont understand how you compare a street stock to a 4 bar mod/late?

What are you talking about? EVERYONE has been doing it for 30 plus years in all classes of cars every where. ITS NOT NEW.

Are you on here to learn?

Or are you on here to find a argument? It appears this is your objective. If thats the case you might want to grow up and move on, we dont need that b.s here this forum is about dead already.

dirty white boy
04-07-2011, 11:56 PM
What are you talking about? EVERYONE has been doing it for 30 plus years in all classes of cars every where. ITS NOT NEW.

Are you on here to learn?

Or are you on here to find a argument? It appears this is your objective. If thats the case you might want to grow up and move on, we dont need that b.s here this forum is about dead already.
ive herd of for years,most sanctions have rules against it,....just never done it,...some people will argue with a stop sign

steveshawjr
04-09-2011, 10:50 PM
you could turn the frame or leave it square its up to the guy behind the wheel ours was square but we ran a 3 link and could lead the car easy enough with the rear trailing arms

and a1 if you design you car right the rear end leads it self under load anyways under load we had about 5 " lead easy in our car

Egoracing
04-10-2011, 07:35 AM

I KNOW FOR A FACT that the turned front clip has been used in asphalt and dirt and it started in the early to mid 80's in some areas and it is used in Modifieds, Late models, (Dirt and asphalt) Nascar, F-1 and Indy all have made a rule to limit it.
A shorter wheelbase turns easier PERIOD, it does not matter if you are on a dirt track, asphalt track, interstate or a dirt road. A Cavalier will turn easier than a semi truck even though the truck has more turning angle built in the steering. The Longer wheelbase is more stable. Shortening the left side of the car has NOTHING to do with the direction you steer anyway as the wheels/tires are set up to run straight. The chassis driving forward has NO IDEA which way the A arms and rear suspension is pointed or how long teh connection points are, it only knows where the tires are pointed.
Ever see the Indy car from the 60's that only had 1 wheel/tire on the left side, it was in the middle of the chassis?

dirty white boy
04-19-2011, 02:37 AM

cpw110419zp
its not a 4 bar late model,..its a older mono leaf BWRC,..an with a stock clip gets called a limited sportsman round the naborhood,....im trying to learn stuff i dont know on this post,..if you have insight to share??? to much bashing on these threads!!! if we all "knew it all" already we wouldn't be here!!!

kevin3673
04-30-2011, 10:57 PM
You're,rosettes (http://www.china-steel-parts.com/rosettes) very helpful to me,eye plates (http://www.china-steel-parts.com/eye-plates)!,valve plate (http://www.china-steel-parts.com/valve-plate)!!

racerj5
11-22-2014, 09:17 PM
I've got a 99 Rocket that needs a front clip. Would you guys recommend a stock clip or late model clip? One local track has no engine, weight or tire rule off stock clip cars in Sportsman.

JustAddDirt
11-26-2014, 02:33 PM
One thing I done on my last clip car was split the frame rail sections, take off the outer half. I would cut out roughly 1.5" off the inner portion of the rail. Weld the outer rail back on.
Makes the clip about 2.5-3' wide. takes a little weight off the nose, and allows more tire clearance on rf.
( I really did not need because I lengthened the RF lower a- arm by 2")
You could not tell by looking, unless you really stared at it.

drtrkr244
12-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Call Mike Or Denny Snow at Snow Bros Racing at 904-259-3018. Their stock clip late models are usually the class of the field. They have been doing them for many years.