PDA

View Full Version : clamped or unclamped LR

29racin
03-31-2011, 07:12 PM
the title is the question??????? clamp LRF or LRR? Do I have to change spring rate?

Dirtwizard
03-31-2011, 08:36 PM
What do you have on ?

29racin
04-02-2011, 01:18 PM
i have spring behind 225# with 6-3 shock and pop-up shock in front on a shaw chassi.s

Dirtwizard
04-02-2011, 10:40 PM
check your pm

WV_Race_Fan
04-04-2011, 05:00 PM
The "clamped" setup can still be made to work today, but it is a little outdated when compared to the advancements we have made in making the LR behind setup work.

The clamped setup works solely on axle wrap, and consists of the live shock being in front of the axle with the spring on it... The more the axle wraps (hike) the more the shock bracket in front is indexed upward, which loads the LR spring. A few hints on getting this setup to work, you typically don't run the same amount of wedge that you do in a "on the hook setup", you run a stiffer RF spring, and a very soft LR spring or stacked LR springs to achieve a softer rate (125-175 is normal).

Clamping behind the axle isn't very effective on a slick racetrack. When the car tries to hike, it is unloading the spring because the shock bracket behind is being rotated downward and away... It is similar to running the shock/spring in front of the axle floated (when the birdcage rotates in that situation it rotates away from the spring too). Shock/Spring in front floated or Clamped and behind can both be effective on a very heavy racetrack, but I don't recommend it. There are other ways you can free up the car without making as big of changes.

Hope this helps,

Later,

WV Race Fan