PDA

View Full Version : decrease compression

Everfaster
04-02-2011, 08:17 PM
background then question: sold off all the ministock gear except the motor... I want to install it in a street car.. How can i decrease the compression without replacing the whole head... the motor is about 13 to 1.. would like to get down to 10 or a little lower.. Is there a gasket that will function properly and reduce the compression... or should i just sell the head???

thanks

Racedad
04-02-2011, 10:45 PM
If you take compression out by putting in a thicker head gasket your squish will be too wide.Most engines work best with .035 or less.I suppose you could try it but with too wide a squish area many engines most engines will need even less than 10:1.Best to go with dished pistons or a different head.
All IMHO.

ATOYOTA
04-03-2011, 08:22 AM
dished turbo pistons or double the head gasket (yes, you can do this. There are head shims out there also. ;;-'.

http://www.headgasket.com/gaskets.html

toynv
04-03-2011, 10:53 AM
you can get different thicknesses of cometic heead gaskets. i have a .030 and an .060 thick one

Everfaster
04-03-2011, 06:13 PM
thank all... that's what i thougth... looks like i'll sell the head and have a new one build.. only less compression and for road use i'll likely go hydrolic as appose fixed post..
Thanks again

foreverfaster.