PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Boss

dfhotlm33c
04-05-2011, 08:20 PM
So, we are buying 2002 Boss chassis, which is supposed to be a copy of a Mastersbilt chassis. I hear these are a little heavy (We are allowed to weigh 2250, steel block). Is this true? We were able to get an underslung 20 year old 2x2 monoleaf car down to 2350 with a steel block 377.

Also, will I be safe using the 2002 mastersbilt setup sheets I have found online? If so, do I go with LR clamped to start with?

Do you have any recommendations for some starting points that might not be found in those setup sheets? We will be running on a small 1/2 mile (Tri-City speedway) track that has relatively tight turns. We may also run 3/8 mile tracks like muskingum or Lakeville speedway in Southeast Ohio.

Finally, this will be our first time with a true four bar car. After driving an old style monoleaf/coil-over/torque arm car, we will be going to a few practices in the area to shake the car down and get used to how to drive. Any suggestions there? (I am sure you can all go on forever about that!)

Thanks!

pushpush
04-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Square tube I assume...? A lot of Boss cars were a close MB copy but a lot of them are not, more exotic etc. More or less they shared front end geometry. You can PM me.

dfhotlm33c
04-10-2011, 09:10 AM
So we just picked up the car. This is an exact copy of a 2002 Masters Smackdown car. Does anyone have good setup sheets or a baseline for this? I have found "narrow", "wide" and "smack bee" setup sheets for that year. Are any of these close enough? All of these setup sheets call for a stiffer RF than LF spring. This car currently has what looks like about a 500 on the LF and a 400ish on the RF (Obviously have to take it apart to be sure). The rear has a shock in front of the LR birdcage and a coilover behind the birdcage. Any info would be much appreciated!

hucktyson
04-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Are you serious when you said the apparent spring rates by looking at them as opposed to reading the stamp or rating them ?

dfhotlm33c
04-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I thought perhaps that would be misunderstood! My point was that the setup sheets for a 2002 masters narrow or wide car call for stiffer RF than LF for baseline...this car clearly has the opposite. We just got the car last night, and have not started going through it and taking exact measurements..my goal here is to see what a good baseline setup is, and if anyone has setup sheets for an 02 smackdown, or if the sheets for the 08 smackdown found online would be ok. In essence, I am getting ducks in a row before going through the car and getting it set up, and seeing if how it is currently setup would be a good starting point. Hope that makes more sense.