PDA

View Full Version : One piece lower Arms??? adjusting caster???

racecrazy2
04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Ive been told you adjust the caster on a late model with the lower A arm. So with a One piece lower you have very little adjustment if none at all. Do you shim the upper A arm or does that cause a bind in the ONE piece Upper A arm??

Any info would be great... Thanks

talclipse
04-07-2011, 08:44 PM
For rocket and other chassis builders that do not use a 1 piece lower with an adjuster built into the strut tube portion you have to adjust the caster by removing the strut tube from the lower adjusting it then putting it back together to check it. It is a PITA.

Matt49
04-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't shim the uppers at an angle if that's what you mean.
I would use a slotted upper control arm like the ones in the link below.
http://pitstopusa.com/c-135880-suspension-front-control-arms-upper-control-arms-ub-machine-19-series-slotted-upper-control-arms.html

racecrazy2
04-08-2011, 01:30 PM
matt49, those look like what I probably should have! The car has one piece uppers and lowers and the caster is way off, and nothing to adjust other than shimming the upper "at a angle" and Ive been told that will cause a bind, although I dont understand why??

Any issues with the upper arms in the picture moving out of place??

hpmaster
04-08-2011, 03:19 PM
I bet you could get a machine shop to slot your A-arms pretty fast and cheaply. I have used sloted ones and never had an issue with moving.

RCJ
04-08-2011, 09:49 PM
I built my own one piece lowers.I unbolt the front hiem and screw it in or out.When it is within a 1/2 degree I will use a small amount of shims.There is also a shim with taper built in to it that goes behind both bolts.I can't explain it that good but to many shims on one bolt will cause a bind.