PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Rod - Removal SBC

Buhr Racing
04-10-2011, 09:41 AM
We are having a small fuel pressure issue so checking all the possible items. Took the mechanical fuel pump off to check the fuel pump rod and it will not come out of the block and thinking the tip maybe worn down. I'm sure it's probably has a little burr on the end from running on the cam that is not letting it fall out very easily.

So my question is, what would be the easiest way to get to the tip to file down the edges a touch to let it slide out. It is a brass tip rod..

Can I get to it through the front throughthe Timing Cover ?
Can I get to it from the top side of the motor under the intake ?

Trying to remember if there are any holes that you can get to it without taking the motor a part and removing the cam?

Any ideas.....the is a pre 90's 4-bolt block...

hucktyson
04-10-2011, 10:40 AM
If you cant get ahold of it with needle nose vise grips and pull it out it has to be more than a small burr

racin6mod
04-10-2011, 12:30 PM
can you turn the shaft in the block or push it in to the cam lobe? the only why to get to the top end of the push rod require taking the motor apart. you might try welding a longer rod to the push rod so you can rig up a slide hammer but this might cause some damage to the hole that would need reamed out.

if you have a roller tipped push rod it would have a screw in guide pin from the front of the block.top 3/8 hole by the timing cover.

Buhr Racing
04-10-2011, 01:40 PM
I can easily move it in/out and spin it. I did try to use some pliers on it but couldnt get it to budge much as far as coming out and really didnt want to force it thinking i may either scratch up the bore or chip the block. It is a non roller tip fuel rod using flat tappet cam..

I will get with the engine builder on Monday and see what they say. I was looking for some help over the weekend with what myoptions were.

Thanks for the responses.

fast_crew
04-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Gonna have to pull the cam out (check lobe for wear), stuff a rag or two coated in grease in the cam tunnel and slowly file the mushrooe off the end of the rod to remove it. Use small shop vac to suck up shavings. Been down this road, switched back to stock push rod, no problems.

Buhr Racing
04-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Ended up welding a make shift slide hammer on the end of it and got it out..It was mushroom a bit. As far as ican tell, the cam is in good condition but havent turned it over by hand yet to check all the way around....thanks for the tips!