PDA

View Full Version : Set Up / Ride Height question

4coil
04-10-2011, 08:19 PM
When you are running one of the soft RF spring set-ups, do you set the RF ride height up higher initially back at the shop to keep the nose from hitting? I have seen pics of cars that are laid over on the RF at speed, but under yellow it looks like a lot of daylight under the car and I assume (there's that word) that this is what folks are doing. Any thoughts?

AmickRacing
04-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Most likely the nose is just mounted higher making it look that way.
A lot of guys are running 10-12" of clearance on the RF corner of the nose to keep it from digging in when the car is laid over.

Moreland24
04-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I would keep the ride the same and just add compression to RF. Keep the front from slamming in the track.

WV_Race_Fan
04-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Adding compression to the shock isn't the best way to stop a car from slamming the right front down.. A shock is a timing device used to speed up or slow down how fast weight is transferred. Not dictate how much. And when you make a change like that you can inadvertently hurt the cars handling in other areas..

Most people are shooting for no less than 10 1/2" on the rf corner of the nosepiece at rideheight for ground clearance when mounting the nose.

Later,

WV_Race_Fan

crate late
04-12-2011, 10:15 PM
That's right, the ride heights dictate frontend geometry and should always be right. I can't buy a noseframe that gets my nose high enough to keep it from dragging so I always modify mine and ended up making a jig that works for me on my car. I like 12-12.5" measured right where the flare meets the nose at the valance, that's where the nose will make contact with the track first

hpmaster
04-13-2011, 09:14 AM
I run a soft right front spring and have found that keeping the ride height at specs with driver in the car very important to having the car drive well. A 1/4" or 1/2" off hurts the corner entry up more than I would of ever thought.

rubbinsracin
04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
we run an 01 shaw w/ 04 updates and we are going to try a softer RF spring. we have ran a 375 in the past and are going to try a 325 up there. i have a feeling this is going to cause a "loose off" condition. does a guy just need to add wedge in order to keep from having the loose off condition?

MasterSbilt_Racer
04-13-2011, 04:45 PM
we run an 01 shaw w/ 04 updates and we are going to try a softer RF spring. we have ran a 375 in the past and are going to try a 325 up there. i have a feeling this is going to cause a "loose off" condition. does a guy just need to add wedge in order to keep from having the loose off condition?

Not necessarily. Look at what the car is doing. If the car is "barred up" when it goes loose, static wedge will mean nothing as the spring isn't loaded anymore. You would need to make a change that effected dynamic wedge.