PDA

View Full Version : Wounded 604

B1 crew
04-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Ran first race of season fri night,brand new motor with practice day only time on it. Ran a little hot in heat 225,took tstat out for feature.ran 200 in feat.Started motor sun.has sort of clicking knock sound cold,took out plugs checked compression,all were around 170,except #2 which was 90. Checked lash o.k thinking broken ring or burnt or broken piston.haven,t tore into yet.Anyone have idea,s or know if Gm would do anything about it or do I have to tear down to find problem? Havent tore into yet because 1 race since new and sealed. Thanks for any suggestions, Ed B.

Graff Spee
04-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Do a leak down test to determine what you did. Then I would talk to builder or GM. Good luck .

JTSjet
04-11-2011, 05:57 PM
^^^Definitely do a leak-down, it will tell a more detailed story than just a compression test. I believe a lifter could be bad and the lash still appear to be ok, compression bad, but leak-down good. Not saying i believe this is YOUR case but it could be.

9WRACER
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
I've heard of a couple of the engines having lifters come apart. Tim Lance had that happen to one of their new ones they took to Georgia

brad hibbard
04-12-2011, 08:43 AM
most "new" engine lifter failures are due to incorrect valve adjustment.

we have a checklist that we use on all new engines and begins with proper valve adjustment.

Brad
www.race-1.com

B1 crew
04-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Talked to guy at GM Performance monday,said since we ran motor once they wouldnt do anything for me. I put air press on cyl, made sure valves were closed, no air in exhaust pipe,no air in intake,could hear air in valve cover breather. Havent found or bought a leak down tester yet,but will.Lifter adjustment was right,we have ran these motors for 3 years and changed springs and adjusted many times. Will dig into it and fix problem but for now we put older engine out of other car in this one. Thanks to everyone who replied. Ed B.

mr.slidewayz
04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
that sucks ! do they do the break in on these engines prior to its sale ? did it come with a dyno sheet ? i know fast eddie b and his kids (class acts - these guys have decades of wins ) . im rather certain they have their valve lash correct !
but im not impressed with the lemon they have to have g.m repair . let me know what that costs ....... so i know if i really want to get one for myself (we were concidering doing just that) . good luck guys

rubbinsracin
04-15-2011, 02:15 PM
we had the same problem with a used (10 "races" tagging the back of heats in a 2 seat late model) and brand new 602 a couple years back. was the first year of the "new 602" after whatever changes they made. we had very similar problems to what you said.

first time one the track for practice we got an air bubble out of the cooling system after it got up to about 220 and then ran at 190 for the rest of the practice day. ran our first heat and got up to 220 again but as i pulled off the track it cooled right down. ran our feature and was about 205-215 depending on if i got into to free air and the next day we went to see if we had more air bubbles in the cooling system and they dam thing had a piston crack from what the dealer called "overheating to 225" we have the chip rule at our track too that limits us to 6200 rpm and we gear to be just shy of that so we never hit the chip which the dealer also said "causes damage"

after that we went to our backup motor which is a 383 steel head and run we can run it 225 all night long if we have to with no problems. its on its 3rd year and after this season were going to do a complete tear down. still well within all compression specs for all the cylinders and fires on first time every time. from the experiences ive had with the crate motors i will gladly pay the one time fee of $250 for them to "seal" my steel head.

B1 crew
04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
found problem,burned piston on #2 found it with a snap/on scope to look in cyl. Our fault,too lean, new carb and didnt check jet size. Ran carb at practice was O.K but track was so slick motor didnt have much load,in heat fri. track was hammerdown hooked. Our bad,will fix motor and richen carb. Thanks Ed B

JTSjet
04-15-2011, 08:16 PM
sorry to hear that B1. i had my fingers crossed for you that it was just a lifter. sounds like you have my luck. then again, i'm the kind of guy that is brazen enough to say halfway through the year, "hot dang my motor has been running great" and then it blows up two weeks later :)

rusty9cab
04-15-2011, 10:56 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how low were the jets in your carb? I just what to have a baseline for what is too low for myself. Sorry for your trouble.

B1 crew
04-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Had 4/68,s in it.