PDA

View Full Version : Joe Martin Tops a stout 30+ car field at Sharon Speedway Opener

Chuckball5
04-11-2011, 12:10 PM
From sharonspeedway.com

The FASTRAK Late Models were brought into Sharon Speedway in 2011 as a weekly division after successful special events held the past two seasons at the Hartford, Ohio. It was the first time a Late Model division had been on the weekly card since the “Supers” back in 1989. And like the past eight shows that produced great racing and excellent car counts, Saturday’s debut was no different as 30 cars filled the pit area and provided great racing.

Joe Martin, who last year won a $1,000 special at Sharon, looked strong all night long and ran a great race holding off a late charge by two-time National Weekly Series and Northeast Touring Series Champion, Max Blair, for the 20-lap Barris Supply victory. Martin now joins Blair as the division’s only repeat winners in nine races run at Sharon and continues the shutout of Ohio racers from victory lane at the Buckeye State speedplant.

“This is my first ever opening night win so it’s a good way to start out I know that,” stated the soon-to-be 26-year-old Mayport, Pa. third year racer. “My car actually wasn’t that good. I had my hands full. That was not my type of track. I like it slowed down, get on the bottom, keep it the car straight-type of track. I have to thank Russ King. He told me to get up on the wheel. I don’t like to do it, but the last five laps I started to. I want to thank Barris (Supply) for sponsoring FASTRAK. I love Sharon; we didn’t tear up any cars tonight and the track was smooth. We couldn’t do this without my sponsors. I have to thank them along with all my family, my girlfriend, and Mike Blose- they all make it go.”

Martin took over the lead from Bud Watson, who was racing a Mod Lite at Sharon one week ago, on the opening lap with Newt Tackett getting by Josh Holtgraver for third. The top four remained the same and action was just heating up when lapped traffic came into play on lap 10 before Eric Wilson spun to bring out the first caution.

Blair, who started 10th, lined up sixth on the restart and would pass Josh Double for fifth when racing resumed. On lap 12, Blair shot to the inside of Holtgraver in turns one and two to grab fourth. Another caution for Wilson and Mark Moats, Jr. slowed action with 12 laps scored. When green replaced yellow, Blair took third away from Tackett, while eighth starting Mike Blose entered the picture moving into the top five.

The third and final caution slowed action with 13 laps completed. On the ensuing restart, Blose inched closer to the front passing Tackett for fourth. Watson’s great run ended when he slipped high in turn two on lap 15 allowing Blair and Blose by for second and third. When Blair got to second he had a half-straightaway deficit to Martin, but he was unable to close the gap as Martin took the win by 1.682 seconds. Martin’s sixth career FASTRAK-sanctioned victory came in the STS Rental/Neese Trucking/Martin Farms/Allegheny Crane Rental/Juart Bros. Excavating/Primitive Peddler/Freedline Auto Repair-sponsored #55.

Blose, Watson, and 16-year-old Tackett were third through fifth. Rounding out the top 10 were Ben Black, Holtgraver, 18th starting Rod Laskey, Double, and Dave Airgood, Jr. Heat wins went to Black, Martin, and Tackett. John Volpe won the B main and set a new FASTRAK track record with a lap of 16.706. The FASTRAK Late Models were running lap times comparable with the Big-Block Modifieds all night long!

Barris Supply FASTRAK Late Models (20 laps): 1. JOE MARTIN (55) 2. Max Blair (111) 3. Mike Blose (5) 4. Bud Watson (Powell 100) 5. Newt Tackett (Schwartz 68) 6. Ben Black (27B) 7. Josh Holtgraver (00) 8. Rod Laskey (1R) 9. Josh Double (38) 10. Dave Airgood, Jr. (42JR) 11. Chad Wright (6) 12. Billy Henry, Jr. (McGee 21*) 13. Darren Peters (1P) 14. Damian Bidwell (17) 15. Rocky Kugel (21KRT) 16. Butch Lambert (27) 17. John Volpe (Bidwell B1D) 18. Brian Booher (Hoover 00H) 19. Jamie Brown (135) 20. Billy Cunningham (44c) 21. Bill Cunningham (59) 22. Matt Latta (21) 23. Mark Moats, Jr. (15) 24. Eric Wilson (27) DNQ: Tom Copeland (98), Bobby Pifer III (6), Tyler Barris (32B), Clay Ruffo (14R), T.J. Downs (03), Justin Kreider (29).

Chuckball5
04-13-2011, 11:37 AM
check out Joe's website www.joemartin55.com for the latest news and results.