PDA

View Full Version : Fabricated valve cover question

qwik83
04-12-2011, 01:45 PM
My head are a 441 casting and we have been having heck with those cheap stamped covers leaking, possibly from being distorted from over tightening? Anyway I was trying to get some opinions on the fabricated covers from kmj performance. They seem rigid and have a flush bottom where you could get a good seal on the head. Also, is it necessary to run the 5/16" thick gaskets with these or will a regular thin gasket work? Also, what is the best adhesive to use to glue the gasket? Thanks for any help!

dirty white boy
04-12-2011, 03:20 PM
always liked a cast aluminum valve cover like a M/T,...an them rubber coated steel shim gaskets,..but im bad for over tighting everything...

stockcar5
04-12-2011, 04:22 PM
dont waste your money on the cheap fabricated valve covers..the flat flange doesnt have a lip to hold the gasket in place and they will roll out from under the valve cover over time.

ford396
04-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I will second that. Do not waste your time on the cheap fabricated covers. I wasted way too much time making them flat and getting the bolts to fit, just to fight gaskets not staying put. They are now on the shelf and have been replaced with a set of Moroso ones. No more problems.

cvra
04-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I've never used anything but the cheap stamped valve covers. I use the cheap rubber coated steel shim gaskets ($14.95) and some cheap aftermarket spreaders along with some cheap T bolts and have NEVER had an oil leak....and I'm anal about oil leaks, absolutely hate 'em!!! Just my 2 cents worth.

parrot69777
04-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Use the cheap stamped tall covers as well with a 1604 felpro (5/16 cork) and never have leaks. Usually take them off every 2-3 races to check valve lash (maybe 30 nights on them a year) with no problems.

raceman17
04-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Try out the cast valve covers. Ebay has some good deals on them. I used that style before I switched over to the vortec heads and fabricated valve covers. I have not have a leak since I started running both types.