PDA

View Full Version : leaf spring roll center?

bobdoo
04-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Can someone explain how to lower the roll center on my leaf spring camaro? Thanks

stock car driver
04-13-2011, 10:12 PM
It is half the distance between the bottom of the rearend housing and the top of the leaf.

3 inch lower blocks added to both sides would lower it 1.5 inches.

Graff Spee
04-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Yes, that is correct. Also don't use more than a 4 inch lowering block. It will create rollsteer and other problems.

balljoint_
04-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Or...distance from ground to center of front bushing + ground to center of rear bushing /2.

Please correct if wrong.

gadirtracer
04-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Taller blocks will also make the leafs think they are softer...hence the increased roll steer...
I "think" the combination of heights, of the front and rear mounting points and the center of the rear-end is how the "moment center" is located...
Generally, the lower the roll center, the more side bite a leaf car will have...I think...:)
But, if the LR spring is stiffer than the RR, the car see's this and not our measurements.:confused:

dirty white boy
04-18-2011, 02:22 AM
Taller blocks will also make the leafs think they are softer...hence the increased roll steer...
I "think" the combination of heights, of the front and rear mounting points and the center of the rear-end is how the "moment center" is located...
Generally, the lower the roll center, the more side bite a leaf car will have...I think...:)
But, if the LR spring is stiffer than the RR, the car see's this and not our measurements.:confused:
on afco's web site (an circletrack to)its half the deference of front an rear mounting points,..like if the front is at 10 inches above floor an rear is at 20 inches above floor then moment center would be 15 inches above floor...if this makes any since! an roll center is based on how wide the leafs are mounted to rear end...

Dirtrunner35
04-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Leaf springs have minimal understeer and oversteer, don't worry about it. A lower roll center will reduce weight transfer. What are you trying to do, get side bit or forward bite? Give more details about your car.