PDA

View Full Version : How about some info on MSD's on low voltage???

dynoman14
04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Maybe EP PAT, or someone else who has tested can help out...
Can you clear something up?
Many folks think MSD boxes run fine on low voltage ( below 12 ). My repeted tests with distributor machine and oscilliscope and amp meter tell me different, along with thousands of runs on the chassis dyno.
What are your thoughts???

odb93
04-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Here's article on that very subject.

http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/general/ctrp_0711_ignition_system/index.html

ep33510
04-22-2011, 07:34 PM
dynoman14

The short answer, if you want to just run the MSD box and have just AVG. output from the MSD box then 12 vdc and under is the way to go. But!!!!! if you want to get everything out of the MSD box then More is better. But that being said you want the box to think it is sitting on a bench a foot away from the battery source. You want to make sure that the voltage & current are solid and Never drift around to. The boxes are more efficent and effective the higher the voltage supply. If anyone is interested I have some options for you to look at for your racing program. You had it right Dynoman14 it does make difference as you have found out with the testing you have done. A Happy MSD Box is one that has a Solid Power source!!!! :)

Ep33510

Pat Collins

techwest@techwestracing.com