PDA

View Full Version : yoke question

vms
04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
I am running a bert tranny. Does the yoke have to be special or anything. Im wondering about a yoke i found on ebay.

gadirtracer
04-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Yoke will depend on rear suspension travel & drive-shaft length.
btw, older Berts are not splined to accept a 8" yoke.

7uptruckracer
04-18-2011, 10:38 AM
So what yoke is needed we think we have a bind issue...the car should be hiking it has LR droop. How much yoke needs to be in the trans At ride height and how far should it travel in at travel

7uptruckracer
04-18-2011, 10:56 AM
The overall lenth is 8" what's different about the splines? Could be out bind problem we have room for it to travel but if the spines don't let it travel freely....

JAMESGANGRACING
04-18-2011, 11:43 AM
does the yoke bottom out in trans with part of the yoke still exposed?

gadirtracer
04-18-2011, 01:58 PM
The overall lenth is 8" what's different about the splines? Could be out bind problem we have room for it to travel but if the spines don't let it travel freely....

The older Bert tail-shafts didn't have the splines cut in them far enough to allow an 8" yoke to slide all the way in. I have one and had a machine shop put a radius cut up the shaft for an 8" yoke.
With the rear of shaft disconnected from rear, yoke should go all the way to the tail shaft seal. If it don't, have shaft machined down so it will.
If using a 8" yoke w/a 6" barrel, I like to see at least 2 3/4" in trans tail shaft.
Take the drive shaft out and measure LR drop, then put shaft in & measure drop. This will tell you if shaft is not allowing the car to "hike" up.

racin6mod
04-18-2011, 05:54 PM
I am running a bert tranny. Does the yoke have to be special or anything. Im wondering about a yoke i found on ebay.

to answer you nothing special a stock chevy yoke should work and most aftermarket yokes in lengths up to 8 inches long. if your tail shaft needs tobe under cut I machine them here at my shop for $30.00 if the shaft has been removed and $60 if I do the removal and reinstall.some older brinns also need undercut for 8 inch yokes.

7uptruckracer
04-20-2011, 09:06 AM
to answer you nothing special a stock chevy yoke should work and most aftermarket yokes in lengths up to 8 inches long. if your tail shaft needs tobe under cut I machine them here at my shop for $30.00 if the shaft has been removed and $60 if I do the removal and reinstall.some older brinns also need undercut for 8 inch yokes.

Thanks guys! Once again y'all hit the nail in the head! Now we might be changing the setup around now that we have our hike it will probably hike to high!