PDA

View Full Version : ride height

dmstang
04-19-2011, 11:01 PM
How does changing the ride height affect handling? Currently my mustang is higher on the left side and I would like to switch and make it higher on the right side.
Right now car is 52% left side, 47% rear and 50% cross. If I change ride height and make adjustments to keep all the percent same, would my car handle almost the same or better as before?

C10
04-20-2011, 12:49 AM
with your left side higher as it is now, it now has an easier time setting the right sides in the slick. It also has more mechanical angle in the left side rear bars giving you a bit more forward drive, so you may notice you have loosened the car up by lowering it. If your car drives good in the feature and you dont have to qualify in a heat to make the show, then i wouldnt fix what isnt broke. Just my opinion......

dmstang
04-20-2011, 10:43 AM
This is a new build car, 2 races on it and it feels fine in the feature until the end when it become loose at corner exit. I was able to keep up with the leader the whole race. Looks like I'm going to leave the ride height alone for now and figure out other adjustments to tighten it up at corner exit.

I'm looking at tuning guide and it suggests couple ways to tighten but I don't have enough experience to decide which one would work good.

Stiffen LR spring
Increase wedge
Stiffen RF spring
Decrease rebound LF shock
Decrease rebound RF shock
Decrease compression LR shock.

Currently my car has 200 lbs LR and 150 Lbs RR and 4/4 shock on both.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

C10
04-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Im betting tire wear and fuel burn off are gettin you lose at the end. What is your rear percentage? And can you sipe your tires?

dmstang
04-20-2011, 03:16 PM
rear 47% before race, 46.9% after race. Street tire, Cobra cooper 195 60 14 all around with 1/4" larger stagger on RR, can't sipe tire.

Also car handle better on lower groove, looser on med and upper groove.

Most car stay on lower groove and I have to wait for them to make mistake or become loose then I can pass them. Car become loose when I try to pass on med/upper grove. I'm thinking I could have some advantage if I could make my car handle better on med/upper groove late in the race.

C10
04-20-2011, 10:42 PM
I would add some more rear percentage to it, go to 50%. Our DLM we run 54% rear percentage just for an example. The middle and upper groove get you loose because everyone runs on the bottom, it throws dust and marbles up the track and you simply slide around on it. The only way around it is to stay in that middle and upper groove and see if you get any followers. This will sweep those grooves off after a few laps and will come to you. Unfortunatly, it takes a few laps and you may lose spots in the process and depending on how many feature laps you have, can be a bad deal.
I have seen some of the guys we race with do this for 5 or 6 laps, and then they come truckin past and you wonder where they came from, but we run 30 lap features too.

racerman
04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
I've had good luck with putting a little more bite in it with a little more stagger if you can. Doing this helps to keep the car straighter through the turns and easier on the r/r.