PDA

View Full Version : Air filter question

MI Dirt Fan
04-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Anyone try these K-N X-stream airflow assemblies? Would be for dirt circle track. Thanks.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-66-3020/

rubbinsracin
04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
we run a dual foam air filter and it seems to work really well. its basically a steel mesh frame that the foam prefilter and foam filter itself go around with a regular aluminum air cleaner. they take a few extra steps for weekly cleaning but we know we basically have a brand new air filter every week.

we had a feature winner get DQed for running that filter you linked in your post because it has an "open filter top" which is prohibited in our rules. our rules state that you can run any filter you want as long as it is no bigger than 16" by 4" with an "oem appearing air cleaner with solid top and bottom" so make sure you read your rules before you go and purchase a $160 filter.

crate late
04-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Get an R2C and be done with it.

C10
04-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Dont believe the hype of those flow top air cleaners. We lost 14 hp on the dyno with one over a clean paper element. Also, the paper element made more hp (7) over an properly cleaned and oiled K&N Standard element. We repeated the tests several times with the same results.

Verdoorn Racing
04-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Crate Late - What's the advantage of an R2C filter?

stock car driver
04-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Crate Late - What's the advantage of an R2C filter?

You blow it out and re use it for years. Its supperior in every way. The seal at the top and bottom as well as the media material.

It doesnt let dirt into your motor like a k/n.

It makes the same power as a good paper filter, which is more than a oiled k/n.

mqdirtracer57
04-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Tried the R2C...had to clean carb after every heat and feature. I was told by a fellow racer that his engine builder only recommend them for qualifying.

Leftterns
04-22-2011, 10:58 AM
We use part number r10522 which is built for modifieds and late models and it works excellent. Engine condition is great. If you had an old style r2c from a couple years ago it was completely different and didn't seal as good.

Verdoorn Racing
04-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Anyone using the Outerwear with it?

BleedingOrange
04-22-2011, 12:22 PM
We use the R2C outerwear with our R2C filters. There should be no way that filter lets dirt leak in unless you've bent the wire mesh causing the rubber seal to look wavy and not seal all the way around. I did that to mine just tapping it on a surface that wasn't flat (ended up bending the mesh and pulling the seal a little making it wavy around the rim). Another way you may be getting dirt in the carb/engine is the seal around the top of the carb where the filter base meets...get a good rubber one instead of the paper one if that's what you have. Also, we use one of those had tighten screw on nuts that have the rubber o-ring built in for the top of the filter hat.

Our engine builder told us that he and a bunch of top USMTS guys just use cheap paper filters and throw them away when they get dirty rather than spending the money on R2C and cleaning it out with the air sprayer because you never get everything out of it like new.

MI Dirt Fan
04-22-2011, 03:21 PM
There isn't anything in our rules saying we can't use them. We don't run LM so it wouldn't be going on a high HP motor.

crate late
04-22-2011, 04:18 PM
mqdirtracer- If you want to sale your R2C for a deal PM me and I will buy it from you

MI Dirt Fan
04-22-2011, 06:45 PM
What would be the best base and lid to use with a R2C filter on a Holley 2 bbl?

crate late
04-22-2011, 10:11 PM
The POS K&N has to be oiled and is restrictive, lets dirt and that red oil into your carb and right down in the cylinders and scuffs your walls up and wears your high dollar engine out. You will not find that with the R2C. This company makes the air filters for the Armed forces over in the sand box fighting the war. If you've never seen the severe conditions they face a dirt track is nothing. There is no or very little restriction after a race with the R2C and the same K&N filter will choke the engine down as much as 50hp. The next best filter was the paper wix/napa paper filter but they are @$14 and you need a new one every week in dusty conditions so a $80-$100good quality reusable filter is a bargain in my book. Ive run mine for over 2 years so that's quite a savings. Oh, my engine builder said he could tell what filter type you were running by the wear he saw on the engine internals.

usafracer
04-22-2011, 11:18 PM
I cant speak for the R2C filters on a race car since I have not got a chance to run mine yet but... I just got back from Iraq where we run their filters on every piece of equipment that we can get them for. If they work half as well on race cars as they do over there you cant go wrong.

For those of you that have never been to Iraq the sand over there is not like the beach sand most are accustomed to. Now granted there is that type of sand over there but the stuff that causes all the issues is like baby powder. It gets into everything. I was replacing at least a turbo a week till get got the R2C filters. After that the only time we had a failure was when the operator did not clean the filter before a mission.

They are great filters and I look forward to getting mine on the track!!

stock car driver
04-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Tried the R2C...had to clean carb after every heat and feature. I was told by a fellow racer that his engine builder only recommend them for qualifying.

Sounds like you have your hood pushing the air cleaner off the base and or you have the old original r2c that was like a paper in its build construction.

Thats what I had originally and I got dirt in my carb. Ed heard about it on here and sent me a new style free... it has a very soft rubber seal top and bottom to seal the filter to the top and base of your air cleaner.

Ive raced on some serious dusty tracks with this new filter and a outer wear and no dirt or grime on my carb.

voodoorn. yes the outer wear also helps. you can run r2cs or buy a regular one for a 15 inch filter.

jj

4coil
04-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Anything new to add to this? Thanks Folks...........

raceman17
04-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Get the R2C. I started running one this year and the first night in the tech shed when we pulled the filter to check the carb the carb bore was spotless. We race on a dusty track too. It was worth the money..

JETAM
04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm not sure which is the best. But, just came back from Lucas Late Model race at VMS and saw
different top guys using various filters. Saw paper, K & N, R2C. Not positive, but I think the winning car (zero) had a K & N or some brand of cotton filter.