PDA

View Full Version : Star Galaxy cranks?

bobgrinex
04-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Star Galaxy (even sounds chinese) on fleabay has forged steel cranks that look to me alot like the lower level Competition Products ones, but about $100 cheaper. We have a $1000 claim on the motor, local engine guy of course said it's junk, buy a crower, but he wanted more than the claim is for just the crank... yaaay. We can't find GM forgings anymore out east, so that's out the window. And for a low dollar motor, a $800 crank is idiotic. Please, I've heard it from the engine builder already that anything short of "X" is garbage. Are any of these units useable for a motor with a low dollar claim?

Anyone have any experience with them? We run a cast iron head, restrictor plate (1.125" openings) under a holley 4412. I'm looking to put together a decent setup without building a grenade, or falling into the trap of a $12500 motor like the local guy quoted, for a limited class. Anyone use these, or a different manufacturer under $500 for a 3.480 51lb or heavier forged crank? We just cant find unmolested GM castings anymore. Track wants to change to 602 crates next year. Have everything but the crank, and don't want to change directions right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150427718265&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

stockcar5
04-22-2011, 06:20 PM
yes they are junk..same as the other cheap crap like ohio, pbm, ect.. but if you insist on running one take it to a good crank grinder and have it completely checked over for size, rods, main, snout, thrust thickness ect. once you get them on size it should be fine for a 2bbl deal.

bushracing67
04-22-2011, 11:56 PM
scat 9000 is best bang for your buck, its also available in a 3.5 stroke, you can sneak in a couple extra cubes

bobgrinex
04-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the replies, I figured it needs to be looked over. The SGI is $280, if I can find a gm forging locally, the grinder (only guy thats had them recently) is $200 for the core, then 250 to index to 3.495 and grind. I'm at $450 out the door indexed and ground, but he's been out of 1182 cores for a while. Missed the comp products sale on the scats they had a while back, hear they are supposed to be pretty good.

stockcar5
04-23-2011, 01:30 PM
if it were me i'd just use a stock cast crank. they are more than enough for a 2bbl motor. should be able to get one ready to go for a little over $100. stock steel cranks are not that great..they are a cheap steel and crack easily.

dirty white boy
04-23-2011, 06:01 PM
id go with a stock cast crank,...itll last a season an there cheap,...got mine turned an polished for 85 bucks,..better crank than a new chinese one,..speacily if you gotta go to a 602 next season!

stock car driver
04-23-2011, 07:01 PM
I would also use a cast stock crank if I were you. I would use that over a cast SCAT Ive broke cast scat not oem gm.

As for gm oem steel they are lower on the good to bad scale than oem cast. 1053 is too brittle and they crack in oval track motors from the up and down rpm. Cast can flex without cracking and will last a season easily.

As for the chinese cranks like Ohio,pmb, hawks, renegade and others they are all cast in the same place and machined and finished in house....

Ive ran ohio, hawks and renegade and so far of the 9 I have had NONE have been off whatsoever.... I havent seen anyone posting any place about these being off that they have personally had either.

Ohio does their own in house and you can call them to discuss anything you want anytime. I think Ive talked to Mike the 3 times Ive talked to them for a crank to meet my needs.