PDA

View Full Version : alum head valve lash question

powerslide
04-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I made the mistake of losing my cam card.
Called engine builder just at the end of last season before i backed valves off to see what they had them set at. It was in the 30's around this time they told me the int was .022 and ext was .024. i checked it when it was cold and they were both .012. Is it safe to say they gave me the hot lash? its ranging 55-80 here and i am getting ready to reset valves and curious how much a steel block alm headed motor changes cold to hot.

parrot69777
04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
The .022 and .024 was a hot setting. Normally with aluminum heads you have to set them tighter because they expand when they get hot. Can change .008-.010. With aluminum heads and aluminum block....they can change even more than that.

Best way to do it is set them hot at .022 & .024. Let the engine cool and check again. That will give you the cold setting for your engine.

When I do the hot setting...I do the left bank.....then refire the engine and bring it back up to temp......then do the right bank. If you do them all at once.....they can partially cool and not get the right settings.

sj valley dave
04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Parrot gave the perfect advice IMO...We set our valves at .018 and .020 at 200* and then let it totally cool off..When cold the clearance was basically .001. We can move the rocker side to side, but can not get a .002 feeler gauge under them...This is an all aluminum engine...

powerslide
04-28-2011, 09:07 AM
talk about making sure you get the engine up to temp .001 EEK!!!

thanks guys i called and he confirmed that was a hot lash number. i set them cold at what they suggest for hot then i am going to warm it up and reset them.