PDA

View Full Version : Welding of spider gears

JFDRCN
04-27-2011, 11:42 AM
What is considered the best way to weld the spider gears for the 7.5" rear? Is it just as strong to use only two of the spiders vs all four to eliminate rotating weight? Any information or pictures would be appreciated.

raceman17
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
I'll try to explain without pictures. Work with me!

What I have done in the past is take the two larger gears out of the carrier and lay them flat so you can see the teeth facing you. Now imagine that you have a imaginary line drawn fron the 12 o clock position to the 6 clock position. What you want to do is lay a nice flat weld bead in the space between the next set of gear teeth thats is to the left and right of your imaginary line. You need to have the weld bead pretty much flat to the face of gear or you will not be able to install the smaller gears when you go to assemble it back together. You might have to grind some of the weld back down.

After you get done welding you will have welded on each gear 4 times.

To install the gears just put the two larger gears in the carrier and slide the axles back in and put your c clips in. Then you need to line up the two larger gears you welded on up to each other so you can slip the smaller gear into the gear set where the imaginary line was drawn before. It will be the gear space between the two welds. You will need to put both smaller gears in at the same time and rotate the assembly until you can line the hole up in the carrier with the holes in the smaller gears to put the pin in. Make sure you dont forget the washers/spacers that are on each gear. You need these to take up as much slop as possible.

I have used this method for years on cars making 350 hp to the rear tires running on an eight inch tire. All i have ever used is a mig welder to do it so no special wire/rod is required. Also, allow the gears to naturally cool. Dont put them in water when they are hot.

Hope your not lost...
If you send me you email address i maybe still have a set of gears I welded up that I can send you a picture of.

Milford Motorsports
04-27-2011, 08:31 PM
We leave everything together,weld the large gears directly to the carrier.Easy to weld ,you can still later remove the axles if needed.Weld both sides of both gears.We always use nickle rods and do let everything cool naturally,no water.Also make sure you remove all the slag.

Headhunter
04-28-2011, 07:50 AM
I always use a low Hydrogen rod , Hydrogen embrittlement can cause the welds to break free at the weld part. Trying to remember the rod I think it s 70/13. I was also told that if you use Co2 as a sheilding gas you can mig weld them but not to use flux core wire. I have never tried that so I cant say from doing.

PitManArm
04-28-2011, 11:00 AM
I have refined my process over the years and used this method for the last 5 or 6 axles.

I remove the carrier from the axle, mark the ring gear location and remove the ring gear. I use a threaded rod fixture to hold the side gears in place and a couple of sleeves I made up to centre the side gears in their holes in the carrier.

Then I cover the seams where the edges of the side gears meet the carrier with masking tape and spray the whole thing with anti-spatter solution. This prevents weld spatter and "BB's" from collecting where I don't want them to.

I use a MIG welder with CO2 and solid .035 wire to weld the side gears to the carrier where the tape had been. Use lots of wire and voltage to get good penetration and weld the four locations in a crisscross pattern, letting it cool somewhat between beads.

After it has all cooled naturally, blow all the little balls of spatter out of the assembly, wash the carrier thoroughly in the parts washer and blow it all dry again. Reassemble the ring gear and put the carrier back in place. You won't be able to get the small pinion gears in, but it doesn't matter because you just made the carrier into a spool. The cross pin will easily come in and out to facilitate axle removal/installation in the future.

04-29-2011, 01:01 AM
I have mig welded them with the carrier in and out of the housing. For dirt and asphalt with no problems

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee191/studediesel/car74valvecoverracers033.jpg

4bangerhotrod
05-01-2011, 02:54 PM
if that weld holds up nobody should have a problem no matter what they use to weld it