PDA

View Full Version : Going from 6 to more set back.

zeroracing
04-27-2011, 08:13 PM
I am looking at running a series part time that has the rules set up too allow more than a 6 inch setback, it is not quite an 8 inch setback. I am looking at making spacers to move the motor back. My question is, has anybody here done this, how did you do you mid plate spacers to go backward. I am worried with the engine twist and weight hanging back off the tabs with something skimpy. I have a feeling it would be hard on a motor to fall out on the racetrack at speed. Also does anybody make a 1.5" engine setback motor mount?

Rayburnt1
04-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Yeah we've done that quite a bit. Many places sell a 2'' set back motor mount. We've just modified those if needed. As for the engine plate, get the biggest aluminum round stock that will fit inside the back of the engine plate mounting tabs. Cut and drill it to the length you need. We havent had any problems cracking the tabs or had the engine fall out. Good Luck.

dirty white boy
04-28-2011, 03:02 AM
i need to move a motor 5 inches forward on a 95 barry wright,..going the other way

F22 RAPTOR
05-08-2011, 08:30 AM
i need to move a motor 5 inches forward on a 95 barry wright,..going the other way

I had a 95 BWRC and I'd think 5" would require reconstructive surgery, spacers wouldn't work well, too much torsional twist out that far... Good luck.

dirty white boy
05-08-2011, 10:15 PM
I had a 95 BWRC and I'd think 5" would require reconstructive surgery, spacers wouldn't work well, too much torsional twist out that far... Good luck.
yeah ive studied on that,..gotta ad 2 inches to wheel base when i clip it to so thats a full 7 inches....might not have a mid plate when its done.idk yet...

zeroracing
05-11-2011, 07:34 PM
What I ended up doing to control twist, was make steel spacer blocks. Each block has one tapped hole and one thru hole. This allows you to bolt up the mid plate without having to add another hole to it, keeps the blocks in place when mid plate is off, and has four more bolts to help stiffen the spacer. It was a total weight of about 4 lbs. Not much for little insurance.

JTSjet
05-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I've used the appropriate front engine mount spacers and a 2 pieces of 6061 alum bar-stock to space the mid-plate to the rear 2". Look at mcmaster # 8975K783. I had to re-engineer my *pit with a hammer to get it to work but it turned out just dandy. Could actually get 55.5% rear on an all steel motor'd smackdown.