PDA

View Full Version : another yoke, and bert question

vms
04-27-2011, 09:39 PM
If you can't us a long yoke in a std. bert then how far in do the splines actually go that causes the long yoke to bottom out? Or is it just hitting the bushing? Also if a 6inch shaft on the long yoke wont work with the std bert then would a 5 1/2 work?

The yoke slides in about 4 inches before it bottoms out in the tailhousing? But with the driveshaft hooked up its only in the housing about 2inches. Basically what happened is i had a 4 inch shaft on the yoke i was using and it caused a vibration since it was barley in the housing. So i got a yoke with a 5 1/2 shaft.

HEAVY DUTY
04-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Your best bet is to buy a new tailshaft.The newer ones have 8" of spline on them while the older ones have 4 7/8", which doesnt leave enough for a car that hikes up much.You can also undercut the splines on the tailshaft or counter bore the yoke.A new tailshaft should be around 120.Whatever you do, make sure you have at least 2" inside the seal at ride height, or it will come out and tear up jack.

racin6mod
04-28-2011, 05:30 PM
I undercut the old shafts it takes about 1 1/2 hr to remove the shaft and undercut it and reinstall a $60.00 JOB here at my shop in central il. if you take it out I'll turn it for $30 plus s/h and send back the next day.I turned quit a few down it's alot better than boring the yoke and causing another problem under braking.here's a photo of the shaft turned for an 8 inch yoke.

hpmaster
04-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Undercut your shaft, get a long yoke and make sure you have the right drive shaft length, if not buy a new one. Having drive shaft failure of any kind isn't a game worth the $400.00 for doing everything right and new. I have had good luck with Fastshafts drive shafts. The guy above is giving you a good price for undercutting your shaft. I have 2 undercut Berts with no problems holding 700+ hp.

steelkiwi75
05-15-2011, 10:01 PM
i bought a new fast shaft. the correct length. took the yoke to the machine shop and had just enough spline removed so that it didn't bottom out, but still had plenty of yoke in the tranny.