PDA

View Full Version : leaking oil out of vavle cover filters

jden89
04-30-2011, 11:28 AM
My first race I had the valve cover with the filter on the passenger side and was blowing oil out of them badly moved them to driver side before the race last night and put rags in them and im still getting oil coming out of them any suggestions?

Dirtman29
04-30-2011, 12:00 PM
You want the valve cover with the breathers on the drivers side, I used to put old socks in my breathers. They soak up the oil & allow the engine to breathe. Must be getting close to rebuild time if its that bad.

LowTechRacing
04-30-2011, 06:10 PM
You want the valve cover with the breathers on the drivers side, I used to put old socks in my breathers. They soak up the oil & allow the engine to breathe. Must be getting close to rebuild time if its that bad.

No you want the valve covers that have a cross over. If you have good oil prussure it will soak the breathers at high rpm's. The crossover allows it to breath. While having the breathers at the top of the cross keeps the oil in the engine instead of on your engine or out of your happy sock.

Dirtman29
05-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Just helping a guy out with what I used to do, it worked, no more oil mess under the hood. So you can 'put a sock in it'.

Moldymulldoon
05-01-2011, 03:28 PM
DirtMan, your Kung-Fu is strong !!!!

dirtman45
05-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I use a vac-u-pan system hooked up to both holes in the left side cover and run down into the pipe right behind the exhaust manifolds.... we have to use an unaltered exhaust manifold. It solved all of my oil issues around valve covers.

jasonmischke
05-06-2011, 11:19 PM
No you want the valve covers that have a cross over. If you have good oil prussure it will soak the breathers at high rpm's. The crossover allows it to breath. While having the breathers at the top of the cross keeps the oil in the engine instead of on your engine or out of your happy sock.

We have great motors with 70+ lbs of oil pressure and never lose a drop of oil out of our drivers side valve cover mounted breathers.

If your motor is getting old and your blow by is heavy, get a couple of steel wool pads and stuff one in each breather, then put a tube sock over the out side of the breather... will stop the oil dripping, and still allow motor to vent.
Also check and make sure someone hasn't knocked the baffels out of the breather tubes.

oldgold
05-13-2011, 10:05 PM
we solved that by running a curved radiator hose to a plastic milk jug on the left bar so if it decides to huff it leaves any oil in the jug.

fast_crew
05-14-2011, 06:03 AM
If you didn't clean the oil out of the breathers before moving it to the drivers side, they will still push oil out because they are soaked. Clean the breathers out before you get to worried, if needed put old socks over the breathers, and get ready for a rebuild. As mentioned check to make sure the baffles are in the tubes, or it will always push oil.

HMS27
05-14-2011, 10:00 AM
If your rules allow run an e-vac system. The kit only costs around $30.00 dollars and it will take care of your problem and give you a few more horse's from your motor. The kit comes with both tubes to weld in the headers and the breather's , just add your hose and your set.