PDA

View Full Version : RR tire on leafspring mod

frontrunner
05-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Ok 1st nite out and car is fast lots of forward bite got to drive it in hard and it sticks lots of side bite but 3/4 way through turn just startig on exit cant get on gas very hard or lose a little... I ran my heat race 6 laps and the RR tire was peeling & starting to feather in just 6 laps of the heat, im thinking sence I can drive it in hard & it has alot of side bite and is alittle lose comin off is that the RR is getting to much weight on it but what does anybody think is goin on here with this???????
This is a multi stacked leafspring car not floated just stacked leafs on both sides....
modified 2500 pounds..
Shocks are..
763 lf
75rf
95lr
94rr
L/R bite 185
rear % 57% but didnt have fuel cell full
dnt want to do to do to much of change had lots of forward bite...
Thanks for any info

frontrunner
05-01-2011, 02:59 PM
And was looking at car today not only the rr doin that the left rear is also.. What would that b coused from would that b to much lead in car also & any info on this...Thanks

Dirtrunner35
05-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Glad to hear your car is doing decent. I'm guessing you're driving the car with the throttle on exit, turning the wheel to the right? How much hotter is the RR tire over the Lr.? What is your air pressure? Myself, I wouldn't have a 63 on the Lf, this will help transfer weight to the RR. What is your shock travel ?

frontrunner
05-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks Started 11th came up to 4th in my heat.. Im not sure what the temp was of the tires becouse as soon as the heat was over my tranny went out so I was focused on it.... But anyway both tires are peeling the tread but right rear looking at it that it wouldnt take long to wear down & i only ran six laps with it... so my shocks numbers r no good or just the 763 on lf.... I hate to change to much lots of forward bite.. I dnt mind running in that hard becouse the car does stick but cant get back on the gas very quick or i got to chase the rearend alittle but besides that it is very fast... I dnt like to change my shocks from tacky to dry so I was useing this shock package for dry slick....So my dry shocks r lf 763 rf 75 lr95 rr94 So what should I change here to keep side bite and be able to cme off the corners better...Thanks for the info

frontrunner
05-01-2011, 09:17 PM
srry i forgot about shock travel it is RR 3 inches & rf 2 inches Thanks

dirtrace09
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
What front and rear springs are on it? How much stagger are you running front and rear? Start by switching the front shocks. Also you may need to soften that 75 on the rear. You are more than likely spinning the tires after mid corner.

frontrunner
05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks my springs r lf 700 & rf800 & for the heat I was running 1'' stagger rear & 1/2''
stagger front soo should I be running the 763 on the rf & put the 75 on the lf & leave the 95 lr & 94 rr on it would that help or make it worse for dry??? It is close so I dnt want to change much.....Both back tires are peeling like they r doin alot but dnt know...... THANKS AGAIN

Dirtrunner35
05-02-2011, 09:01 PM
If this was my car, I would put a 76 on Lf. And a 753 on the RF. 2 inches of travel on the RF is not much but if your entry is good, leave it alone for now. Need to know the tire temps on all 4 corners.Do you have a temp gun, if not , get one. Or write down how the tires feel with your hand. If your RR is REALLY hot and the LR is just warm to hot, yes too much weight transfer to RR. What tire pressure you running?

Dirtrunner35
05-08-2011, 07:38 PM
How is your car doing ?

28m
05-17-2011, 01:21 PM
If both your tires are doing it you have wheel spin. The way you describe your car, it sounds good. Good forward drive, good side bite. Having ran a leaf car for years, you have to know, the amount of drive is limited. Sometimes you just have to adjust you traction control (right foot).

I have a car that no matter how good it was, it always had a "snap loose" condition 3/4 way through the turn. Yes, normally that would seem like a tight car in the middle but its not. To fix this, I added more RF caster. A lot more. Like 8 degrees. The LF is at about 2. With a 6 degree split, it loads the LR when back steering.

Just a thought...but I’m still sticking to the original suggestion...Leaf cars have a tendency to smoke the tires without good throttle control.