PDA

View Full Version : Leaf spring slider help

DTR Motorsports
05-02-2011, 06:38 AM
I swap leaf on my car.Took chry off and put camaro under it.Now i think my sliders are binding up.with the car on the ground were should the eye be at in the slider so it the bottom out.I also changed out the sliders and installed the one for a camaro leaf.

gadirtracer
05-02-2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/leaf.shtml

DaveBauerSS6
05-04-2011, 01:05 AM
RR- in the middle of the slot. LR - Test mount the slider about 3/4 forward and bounce the car hard, adjust the slider untill it just clears the end of the slot. Point is to get all the travel out of the left side when the car is in the corner and the left spring can travel forward as much as possible, thus planting the tire longer.

DTR Motorsports
05-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks DaveBauerSS6.Witch one do you think is better Sliders or Shackles.

DaveBauerSS6
05-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Thanks DaveBauerSS6.Witch one do you think is better Sliders or Shackles.
Depending on your rules. If you can run both, that's the best.

Slider on the right for stability. Movement 1/2 inch at the tire will change your setup= bad nite.

Shackle on the left, for the ability to allow the left side of the body to lift in the corner and keep the tire planted. The longer the shackle the better, like the fast boys idea. If allowed; raising the LF spring eye mount 3-5 inches higher will allow rear steer. Now you got bite.

Both front eyes need steel swivel bushings to minimize bind.
Lube between the springs leaves before each race.
Bearing sliders ( vs nylon) last longer and remain freer thru the nite.
Grease all contact surfaces of the slider during maintenance.

If you cant mix, the slider is more consistent and with some work on the spring it can plant the tire almost as well as a shackle.

Why go back to the chevy, the chrysler has more forward bit???
Get some.

DTR Motorsports
05-05-2011, 06:32 AM
RUles want let us run chrysler.the springs have to be in stock location on the front.I do have them new afco reinforced front springs on the car.

DTR Motorsports
05-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Do they make the swivel bushing for the camaro spring.if so were can you find them.

DaveBauerSS6
05-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Do they make the swivel bushing for the camaro spring.if so were can you find them.
Sorry, been running the chryslers too long. It looks like chrysler only. Not sure why they would'nt work in the chevy with a few changes. Maybe someone could share some info on it.
If you see how they are designed it would'nt be difficult to make at a machine shop.
Good luck.

82Motorsports
05-06-2011, 04:43 PM
If you compare the sizes of the "eye" of the two springs you will notice they are not the same size. So you will need ones for the Camaro springs. Jegs has the solid ones here: http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Solid-Aluminum-Leaf-Spring-Bushings/1209866/10002/-1