PDA

View Full Version : Looking to UP-Grade Shocks

mqdirtracer57
05-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I am currently running with Genesis G1 shocks...What would be the wise choice on double adjustible shocks?

rubbinsracin
05-03-2011, 02:02 PM
seems like everyone around here runs afco. might be because speedway motors is right up the road and it makes them readily available. alot of people are going to the 10 shock late model package

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Edge-Dirt-Late-Model-10-Shock-Package,24256.html

supposed to take the "guessing" out of it. does something like this look like a good value?

joedoozer
05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
seems like everyone around here runs afco. might be because speedway motors is right up the road and it makes them readily available. alot of people are going to the 10 shock late model package

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Edge-Dirt-Late-Model-10-Shock-Package,24256.html

supposed to take the "guessing" out of it. does something like this look like a good value?

I looked at those too. We can run canister shocks in our class, and I think I will just keep saving my money for some Ohlins. But I had these on my wishlist for a while.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Alum-Late-Model-Non-Adj-Gas-TrackPak-Shock-Sets,25870.html

The point of double adjustables has been discussed several times before. Someone pointed out they are twice as expensive to buy, twice as expensive to repair. They are also not as accurate as a fixed valve shock. Meaning a 6-2 fixed will not act like a double adjustable set on 6-2. It "skews". But like anything it all revolves around how much money you have to spend.

joedoozer
05-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Also if you have some older Afcos and you buy some of the new ones. The "hats" from the old shocks don't fit the new rod ends. The clips don't line up. So make sure it comes with a coilover kit.

mqdirtracer57
05-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I mainly am looking for for adjustments in slick conditions

rubbinsracin
05-04-2011, 01:10 PM
i can see why. thats where setup makes a big difference. maybe go with the five shock afco slick track package

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Edge-Dirt-Late-Model-Slick-Track-5-Shock-Package,24348.html

has anyone ran the 5 or 10 shock package from afco? were always looking for something to take the "guessing" out of it.

Matt49
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Just my opinion but if you are only running a few local tracks and they are pretty similar, you don't need double-adjustable shocks at all.
The best thing you can do (for the money) is hook up with a shock rebuilder that knows their stuff, knows the chassis you are running, and knows the tracks you will be running at. Better yet, find a guy that you know will be AT the tracks you will be running from time to time. They are always willing to help the folks that spend money with them in every way they can (beyond just shocks) at the track.
Long story short, a relationship with a good shock guy is worth a lot more than any expensive set of shocks.

lovinlatemodels
05-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Just my opinion but if you are only running a few local tracks and they are pretty similar, you don't need double-adjustable shocks at all.
The best thing you can do (for the money) is hook up with a shock rebuilder that knows their stuff, knows the chassis you are running, and knows the tracks you will be running at. Better yet, find a guy that you know will be AT the tracks you will be running from time to time. They are always willing to help the folks that spend money with them in every way they can (beyond just shocks) at the track.
Long story short, a relationship with a good shock guy is worth a lot more than any expensive set of shocks.

I agree if your running the same track each week you can get 2 or 3 shocks for each corner. Have some spares in the trailer rather then 1 high dollar set on the car. We had some dbl ajustables couple yrs ago and were very inconsistent. As far a G1 shocks i've been lucky to pick up at flea markets last 2 yrs for $80 each then i send then to get revalved to my spec and gone over and i only got $220 in a shock and i got plenty of spares and valvings.